Rainbow fish are underrated!

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tetrafan

by tetrafan

It amazes me that these guys aren't more popular than they are! They're gorgeous, active schooling fish and there's several species that are easy enough to find for sale at fish stores etc. And like it's not that they're unpopular precisely, just that most people will mention tetras and barbs (which I'm a big fan of too - look at my username, ha!) but rainbow fish don't get as much recognition!

kate_kuhli

Re: Rainbow fish are underrated!

by kate_kuhli

They really are! (underrated I mean)

I wonder why that is? Everyone that I've ever heard that keeps them agrees they're a hidden gem in the fish world!

tetrafan

by tetrafan

Yep it seems like once you do start keeping them you fall in love with them and never turn back.

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

Yeah. I've never kept them before but I have read about them (on forums mostly) and they sound really interesting. I'll have to watch a video on youtube to see their behavior in action myself! Apparently they flare a lot, especially the males, and the males have a "flasher" that they flash around a lot. This is all part of their flirting/spawning behavior I think. And then add in their brilliant colors and it's no wonder people enjoy rainbow fish so much once they start keeping them!

4 posts