[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Plecos that eat algae - RateMyFishTank.com

Plecos that eat algae

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

reefer171

Plecos that eat algae

by reefer171

I love plecos and hate algae so I thought hey why not get a pleco that will eat algae! I know some plecos, like the commons, don't actually eat algae (or very little of it) even though they may be sold for that purpose to unsuspecting buyers. So is there a species that is generally recommended by aquarists? :)

kate_kuhli

Re: Plecos that eat algae

by kate_kuhli

Rubbernoses and common bristlenoses are the best algae eaters to my knowledge.

tetrafan

by tetrafan

blenny

by blenny

I could be wrong but I think the common plecos are actually good algae eaters. The issue is they get very big and messy so most fish keepers aren't prepared to keep them for very long!

saratang

by saratang

Out of interest why a bristlenose over a rubbernose? What's the difference?

tetrafan

by tetrafan

reefer171

by reefer171

friend_of_fish

by friend_of_fish

Yeah you can't go wrong with a bristlenose, they're kind of multi functional.

I find rubbernoses just as easy to keep though, TBH. They are a bit timid though and some people say that their rubbernose hides all the time.

reefer171

by reefer171

Are bulldog plecos the same as rubbernose? How big do they get - I read 4" somewhere and then 6" somewhere else. Is 6" even small for a pleco? I don't know what size range I should be aiming for.

xxluckxx

by xxluckxx

Plecos that eat algae

11 posts • Page 1 of 2