How do I say "don't keep fish"

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

asher

by asher

In my daughter's kindergarten class they say small tanks and bowls of fish that are not being cared for properly. Or anywhere close to properly. How do I say to the teacher/assistants that they should not be keeping fish in the classroom without sounding rude? I'm only a newbie fish keeper myself but I can clearly see that these fish are being neglected out of ignorance and seem to be replaced regularly.

tetrafan

Re: How do I say "don't keep fish"

by tetrafan

I think if I were in your shoes I would try to spin it in a positive light. Considering this is in a Kindergarten class you should have an easier time doing this because as role models for the kids the teachers should want to show them how we're supposed to take care of animals and be empathetic to living creatures and so on. The teachers probably just don't know any better themselves but with some education they could make this a good thing.

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

It is tricky to word because many people get defensive if they feel you're judging them. Especially in a situation like this where if you're not careful they'll feel like you're accusing them of killing the fish through neglect (which I guess is true, but...more like through ignorance?). I'm sitting through trying to imagine how I would word it but I keep coming up short or realizing what I'm thinking would sound offensive to them...

blenny

by blenny

It's often harder I've found to make changes when there are multiple people involved in caring for the fish but with luck they will all be on board when given some positive suggestions.

4 posts