Saltwater catfish.

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

_fins_

Saltwater catfish.

by _fins_

So my last thread had me thinking, are there any saltwater catfish that would be suitable for the average home aquaria? All the saltwater catfish species that I've heard about eventually get very big and grow rapidly. It would be nice if there were small species as well. There's so many different freshwater species, surely there's a wider variety of their saltwater cousins too?

kate_kuhli

Re: Saltwater catfish.

by kate_kuhli

I don't think there's nearly as many brackish or saltwater catfish as there are freshwater, unfortunately. I haven't heard a lot about them being kept by aquarists but I have heard mention of the coral catfish. All I really know is that they're a really nice looking catfish (seriously, look up an image on them, they're beautiful) and they grow to about a foot long.

So I guess they're maybe feasible to people with big enough tanks? Oh and they also have venomous spines I think and I don't think they're reef safe either (ironically). I've no idea about other stuff like what kind of tankmates they can have or what they eat etc.

saratang

Re: Saltwater catfish.

by saratang

Colombian Shark Catfish? Many people mistakenly believe they're freshwater fish but really they can only live in freshwater as babies and eventually have to be switched over to full saltwater. I don't know exactly how big they get but from what I remember they get way too big for your average aquarium.

Saltwater catfish.

3 posts