Protein Skimmer?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

reefer171

Protein Skimmer?

by reefer171

Is a protein skimmer really necessary? Trying to add up all the actual equipment I'll need for my first reef tank. Thanks. :)

kate_kuhli

Re: Protein Skimmer?

by kate_kuhli

How big is your tank? Protein skimmers are very useful but they aren't really necessary. Mostly people like them because it helps keep maintenance down. If your tank is under 30 or 40 gallons then they're less useful than if you had a bigger tank. With smaller tanks weekly water changes should be enough, with bigger tanks it may be that you're having to do quite big water changes to make up for not having a protein skimmer, and salt costs money, so you'd probably be better off having a protein skimmer if your tank is, say, 50+ gallons.

Hope that makes sense!

fish123

by fish123

Personally I would get one just because I feel it's worth the money - it'll help take care of your tank which will mean less time doing water changes and dealing with potential problems etc and more time spent just enjoying your tank. This is especially true if you're going for a reef tank because corals are sensitive to nitrates and a protein skimmer will cut down significantly on nitrate buildup.

guidolin

by guidolin

Yeah, I have faced some problems, I can't maintain the system of cleaning my fish tank properly, the fishes of my tank can't move. So finally I thought the protein skimmer and truly it has help to cleaning my tank, and the pH level belong in control. You can check out the link, which will help me to solve this problem.
https://fishboxpro.com/best-protein-skimmer-reviews/

Protein Skimmer?

4 posts