When to give up?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dbciii

When to give up?

by dbciii

My common pleco - about 16 inches long, over 20 years old - is constipated. In hindsight, having read up on it, I suspect he got jammed up from eating tubifex worms. I put some in for the angelfish and he loved it. Came out of his cave to eat within seconds of my putting it in there. Now I have learned they are a real problem for plecos. Once it dawned on me what was happening I stopped all feeding except mashed peas, which he eats readily. I treated the tank with epsom salts. I did not want to try to put him in an isolation tank, so I treated the whole tank. I'd willingly lose the other fish to save him. It has been at least three weeks since he's pooped, and he is starting to look like a bowling pin. He is still quite active, comes out of his cave and searches for food, eats the peas quickly when I put them in there, perches on the rocks and looks at me (or seems to) - basically all pretty normal, except not pooping and swelling up. The treatments have not touched the issue. So at some point I guess I conclude either the tubifex worms formed an insurmountable blockage, or he has a growth or tumor blocking his gut and is not going to get better. When do I make that call, and what do I do to be humane?

dbciii

Re: When to give up?

by dbciii

Well, nobody commented so probably nobody will see this, but here's an update.
She (yes, she!) continued to swell up - eventually looked like she had swallowed a tennis ball - and I am not exaggerating. But seemed otherwise healthy throughout, so I stuck with her. About a month ago she started shrinking, and is now almost back to normal. So in fact it WAS eggs, which she eventually absorbed. Five month saga!

friend_of_fish

by friend_of_fish

Wait, so she was blocked up with eggs, not constipated from the tubiflex worms?

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

Wow, thanks for the update! I actually just saw this thread a week or so ago and wondered what the outcome was. I've heard of eggbound fish before but I hadn't heard of eggbound plecos!

dbciii

by dbciii

To friend_of_fish - yes, she was egg bound. I had read up on it and knew that was a possibility. I treated for constipation, treated for parasites, concluded it was not dropsy, and then just decided to wait it out. That or a tumor were the only remaining possibilities, and she was too symmetrically shaped and healthy acting for it to be a tumor. She remained active, appeared healthy except for getting really huge. She had to find new ways to rest on the rocks, resting her chin on a rock and tail on the gravel, so her huge belly could hang in space. Eventually she started shrinking. Is just now fully back to normal. Attached photo is from September, after she started shrinking. It does not really show the size well. Looking straight down on her she looked like a tadpole - big round body with skinny tail. You can see her rounded belly though.
pleco.jpg

dbciii

by dbciii

In additional reading I learned that female plecos typically move out of the cave while the male readies it somehow - then she will go in and lay the eggs while he fertilizes them. Without a mate, they just hold on to them until they finally start reabsorbing them. I did notice she was staying outside her cave - lying on top of it more than usual. She was getting too big for it though, so I redesigned it, raising the roof another inch or so. She went right in after I did that, but continued staying outside a lot too. I guess my "readying" of the cave was not suitable for her! :)

When to give up?

6 posts