[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fish that hides and/or digs in sand- for a nano tank. - RateMyFishTank.com

Fish that hides and/or digs in sand- for a nano tank.

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

renee

by renee

I used to have a 150 gallon tank, but I moved, and my current apartment complex doesn't allow tanks over 10 gallons. Hence, I am now the proud owner of a 5 gallon nano tank.

I have got it up and running, and the water is now ready for some fish.

In my large tank my favorite fish were the ones that tried to hide, like my Black Ghost Knifefish.

I bought a small hiding rock, now I just need to find someone to live in it. I would love any suggestions, for small fish, that could live in my tank.

I'm currently thinking of getting one or two live plants and then a little hiding or digging fish.

Thanks.

kate_kuhli

Re: Fish that hides and/or digs in sand- for a nano tank.

by kate_kuhli

Peacock gudgeons would be a good bet. They love a planted tank with some hiding places and they only get to about 3" long. They're fine for a 5 gallon tank but it would probably be best to only get one for a tank that size. Or possibly 2 females. Definitely make sure you don't get 2 males though - they'd fight.

fish123

by fish123

I think you could do kuhli loaches? They definitely dig and hide a lot but when they're out and about they're very fun to watch. They also are unique looking, if you'd like a "different" looking fish (I mention this because of your black knife fish you used to have).

blenny

by blenny

Shrimp and snails perhaps? Not fish, obviously, but they're another possibility since many shrimp and snail species will dig and hide and you could mix them with most fish that are suitable for nano tanks.

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

friend_of_fish

by friend_of_fish

Pygmy cories. Being cories they like to dig and I think they're more shy than other cories, so they frequently hide. However, your tank may not be large enough. Cories are an active species.

Otocinclus catfish, but they're very sensitive.

Some kind of tiny asian woodcat? They're known for being very elusive and like to come out of hiding at night. I don't know if there's any small enough for a 5 gallon, though.

6 posts