Help to choose lighting for unplanted tank

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

roger

by roger

I am starting out with a new Juwel vision 180 litre tank which comes with heater/filter and light. The light is JUWEL High-Lite T5 lighting system output 2 x 35 watt. I intend to have only artificial plants (no live plants whatsoever) would I do better to change this light to prevent algae growth or will it be OK? If it does need changing what should I change it to? I intend to kept Congo Tetra's and possibly an Angel. What lighting would show them off to their best? Thanks, Roger

kate_kuhli

Re: Help to choose lighting for unplanted tank

by kate_kuhli

That'll show your fish up really well and since you already have the lighting I would be inclined to give it a try and cross any algae problems when/if they occur. I believe with this lighting you can use a natural bulb and a colored bulb simultaneously? I've heard of people that like doing this as a colored bulb (e.g. blue) can enhance the colors of their fish. That might be something you'll want to look into. :)

blenny

by blenny

People will usually say that if you don't have plants/corals then lighting doesn't really matter but I disagree in a way because the better you can see your fish the better you can enjoy them.

Good lighting can't be underestimated IMO. As long as I can afford it I'll choose good lighting any day over half-way decent lighting.

Algae can happen even with bad lighting so I wouldn't worry too much about it and just get a good algae scrubber for the glass if you do get problems with it.

friend_of_fish

by friend_of_fish

The two posters above me have offered good advice. I wanted to add that algae problems often arise from poor water quality and excess food. So if your filtration is good, you do frequent water changes (and a large enough quantity of water removed each time) and gravel vacuuming and you don't overfeed than you're much less likely to have issues with algae.

roger

by roger

A "Big Thanks" to all who have been kind enough to take the time to reply. I will give the current lighting a go and take on board your comments about algae and the need for proper tank maintenance and water changes. Fingers crossed in a couple of months I will be able to put up a photo of my stocked tank.

5 posts