tangs in my tank...

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

nanocubeking

tangs in my tank...

by nanocubeking

ive wanted a tang for so long now. Does anyone have any ideas about keeping a tang in a 24g nanocube.i have a clownfish, flame angel, and a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo.

dragonmoray

Re: tangs in my tank...

by dragonmoray

There's not enough water in there for a Tang IMO. These fish need lots and lots of room, otherwise they will either fade away through stress or become violently agressive with other fish in the tank. Also most Tangs grow large quickly. I have a single Yellow Tang in a 90 gallon tank, and even he gets moody sometimes, but there's room enough in there for the other fish to get out of his way.

nanocubeking

by nanocubeking

so then what do you suggest i put in there then.

dragonmoray

by dragonmoray

Fairy Parrotfish, Orchid Basslet, Anthias, Firefish, Candy Hogfish, Cardinalfish, Pyjama Wrasse............there's loads of fish with potential. If you have your heart set on a Tang, you can try to get hold of a small Sailfin Tang or something. They should be regularly available around the 2" size, but will outgrow your tank, it's not unusual to see them 6-7" + in aquariums and they can get to 15", in which case you will need to get a bigger tank or sell/part exchange him.

boggs32

by boggs32

agreed. A tang needs to be in a 60 or larger aquarium. Anything smaller will stress the fish out.

amkelly

by amkelly

i would suggest not putting a tang in anything smaller than a 125 but thats just me... the amount of space they need to swim is unreal. i would suggest going with a sixline wrasse, they are very active and fun to watch.

tangs in my tank...

6 posts