Co2?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lumi

Co2?

by lumi

I don't know what to make of all the Co2 talk with planted aquariums. Is this necessary? Is it only necessary if you have a heavily planted tank?

tetrafan

Re: Co2?

by tetrafan

No, it's not necessary exactly, but it will make your plants grow faster and some plants need it more than others.

Look for low tech plants / planted aquariums. There's lots of nice plants out there that only need low lighting and don't need co2 injections.

blenny

by blenny

If you're new to maintaining planted tanks my advice would be to simply start out with easy to grow plants and not worry about co2 for now. I find it's better to start small with things, then as your knowledge and experience grows and you find you enjoy keeping planted tanks you can move on to more complicated things. I feel you're more likely to really enjoy the hobby of keeping planted tanks that way. Just my opinion.

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

I agree with what Blenny said. It's like how sometimes new aquarists can do too much, too fast and if it fails for whatever reason that can be majorly discouraging and cause them to give up the hobby. You see that with marine/reef aquarists especially.

Although, I'm sure many are glad that they had co2 with their first planted tank set up. It's just not for everyone, at least at first. (I'm assuming here that you haven't kept planted tanks before...my apologies if this isn't true!)

Co2?

4 posts