African dwarf frog eating difficulties

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lumi

by lumi

I have an african dwarf frog in my 5 gallon tank with a male betta. They get along well, the betta doesn't bully the frog or anything, but the problem is that the betta really hogs the food. He eats so much faster than my ADF. Is there any solution to this, a way to perhaps distract the betta, or will I have to put my ADF in a separate tank?

tetrafan

Re: African dwarf frog eating difficulties

by tetrafan

I'm afraid you'll probably have to put the betta in another tank. Some people have good luck with betta / ADF set ups but other people don't have such good luck. Because the fact of the matter is, bettas are fast and known for hogging food while ADF are slow with poor eyesight. So that doesn't always make a great combination. Sorry - probably not what you want to hear :(

friend_of_fish

by friend_of_fish

You could try target feeding, a lot of people have to do this with their ADF because they're not very aggressive feeders so often they let the other inhabitants in the tank eat the food. I think people even target feed when the sole inhabitants in the tank are ADF, though.

You'll need to feed the betta on one side of the tank, then target feed the ADF on the other side.

What do you feed them?

lumi

by lumi

I feed mainly flakes and pellets. Is this okay?

Okay, I'm going to try the target feeding and see if that helps any. If not, I'll separate them. What do you use for target feeding, tweezers?

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

Yes, you can use aquarium tweezers or a turkey baster. :)

To be honest, fish flakes and pellets aren't especially healthy for frogs. What I would do is start off target feeding the frog frozen bloodworms via a turkey baster. Once your frog gets the hang of the target feeding then there are other types of live foods you can try him on. Also there's aquatic frog pellets that you can feed - they have the right nutrients for ADF.

5 posts