buying a bigger fish tank want salt water look help!!!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

waterlover24

by waterlover24

I have a freshwater fish tank that is 10gal. right know. I am buying a bigger tank. I walked into a saltwater fish store and I loved the scenery! I realy want to do something like that for my fresh water tank. help me please!

angus4481

by angus4481

you should just go salt. fake coral doesnt look anything near the real thing up close. if ur gonna get a new tank, see if they can whip up a salt package for you. saltwater is easy if you pay attention to whats goin on in the tank, and start slow. just my thoughts

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think some peoples cichlid tanks with the rock work with all the holes for hiding places looks sort of like a salt water tank. Check out Gumbii's profile.

darkruby

by darkruby

Well, if you are going salt water make sure you have correct lighting and stuff for your coral and fish. And buy live coral and plants like angus said. Make sure all the fish you get are compatible and never look at the tank as a lot of work, give your best effort and enjoy every minute or else you might regret it. If you regret it, it is no fun.

miami754

by miami754

If you want the closest thing you can get to a SW tank with FW, then do African cichlids. I have a 58 gallon cichlid tank and absolutely love it. It is by far the best FW tank I have ever had in terms of entertainment. If you have questions about species or anything just let us know and we can help you out. I love watching them fight for caves and territories and how they go in and out of the rock. It is very cool. You won't get the coral look but you will get the freshwater equivalent of a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) look. The fish tend to be very brightly colored which is why many people who don't know that much about tanks, mistake them for SW fish.

If you do decide to do cichlids, make sure you do your research. They are nothing like normal community fish and will kill each other if you don't pay attention to what you are doing.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Actually Miami's tank is what I was thinking of. I know Gumbii is a major raiser of cichlids so he's definetaly a good person to talk to as well.

prskiller

by prskiller

Those actinic lamps will make your freshwater tank look like saltwater tank. I have a 75 gallon Oscar tank with rock background and lava rocks with the Current Satellite and it looks like a saltwater tank.

7 posts