Female sorority betta tank

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lumi

by lumi

I recently heard that it's possible to keep multiple female bettas together. Has anyone tried this? Does it really work?

kate_kuhli

Re: Female sorority betta tank

by kate_kuhli

It's great if you want to have multiple bettas but it's also kinda tricky to do. Just make sure you do lots of reading on the subject so you have the layout right and know what to expect and everything!

There are certain 'rules' for sorority tanks, to help ensure they get along peacefully. Here's a few below:

- You want to make sure you have at least 4 females so there isn't one fish that gets bullied too much.

- You don't want to have too many females in too small a space.

- You want to have a lot of cover so they can get away from each other and not be in each other's line of sight. Live plants are preferable for cover but anything will do.

There's a lot more though - I've read some good guides, I'll try to find one of them and will post the link!

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

Ah I found one of the articles I was talking about! http://www.myaquariumclub.com/female-be ... -9266.html
I'm sure I've read other good articles on how to set up a multiple female betta tank though, I'll look for more later.

tetrafan

by tetrafan

I think a 20 gallon long would be best as a minimum but some people do have successful 10-15 gallon sororities, I just think it's more likely to be successful with a 20gal or larger. 10gal should definitely be the minimum though - too little space will cause fighting.

You want to make sure there's enough girls to even out the aggression too. So if you were to use a 20 gallon long I'd probably put about 8 girls in.

Remember that sororities often don't work out in the long run so have a plan in place for what you're going to do if it doesn't. It might be a good idea to have some extra tanks or small storage bins on hand - anything that you could use temporarily if you had to suddenly take some girls out.

lumi

by lumi

Thanks for all the advice so far, this is great! A lot more complex than I thought but I will be sure to do my homework on it. I really want it to work, I have become really enthralled with the idea of a betta sorority, though I will be prepared in case it doesn't work. Thanks!

5 posts