Lifespan of shrimp?

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

blenny

Lifespan of shrimp?

by blenny

I'd like to know more about the lifespan of various species of shrimp before I decide which I want to choose. Right now I'd like some that would live a few years (or more) especially if I'm buying some of the more expensive shrimps.

ian06

Re: Lifespan of shrimp?

by ian06

I think most shrimp generally only live 1-2 years. Such as ghost, cherry, amano...these species can live slightly longer but typically don't.

I have heard of some species that can live longer, like 3-5 years, but I don't remember which they were.

kate_kuhli

Re: Lifespan of shrimp?

by kate_kuhli

Yeah, most freshwater shrimp in the aquarium trade are in the caridina or neocaridina genuses and they usually live 1-3 years.

There is however a shrimp that can live 20+ years. It's called the Hawaiian red shrimp (Halocaridina rubra). Or opae ula, or Hawaiian volcano shrimp, etc...it goes by several names. This website has a lot of interesting information on them http://www.petshrimp.com/opaeinfo.php

It needs brackish water as an adult though - or judging by that website anyway - so if you're looking for freshwater shrimp only then this wouldn't work.

Lifespan of shrimp?

3 posts