Why is that...?

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

kate_kuhli

Why is that...?

by kate_kuhli

Why is it that saltwater tanks can't seem to support the same volume of fish that freshwater tanks can support?

It always seems to me as if saltwater tanks have a vastly smaller number of fish. I read stocking guides and think 'but that can't be right, there's only a few fish in there!'

I'm good at telling the above/below/just right stocking levels of freshwater tanks, I just haven't got the hang of it yet with saltwater.

friend_of_fish

Re: Why is that...?

by friend_of_fish

I think it's because saltwater fish are more fragile - they can't handle bad water quality. The more fish you have, the more waste there is.

Why are saltwater fish more fragile than freshwater fish? I'm not entirely sure but I think it's because the ocean is so big - much, much more vast than a lake or pond where many freshwater fish come from. So just like with aquariums, the larger the volume the more stable the water quality is. Saltwater fish just haven't evolved to deal with inconsistent conditions.

kate_kuhli

Re: Why is that...?

by kate_kuhli

Oh I never thought of it like that before. That makes sense.

I was thinking, could it also be because some of the most popular fish people consider are typically a lot larger than many popular freshwater species? E.g. smaller tetras are very popular and you can stock quite a few smaller species of tetras in a small-medium sized tank...

Why is that...?

3 posts