Too much microbubbles

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

john90009

Too much microbubbles

by john90009

hi i have a all-glass wetdry filter that has a coralife super skimmer in its main resovour, i have the valves tured to where it says it should be how ever the mcro bubles are coming stright fromt he diffusion box on the skimmer straight into the return pump which is on the other side. all the tiney bubles make my tank look foggy and unclear how ever when i turn the skimmer off the micro bubbles pop and my tank becomes clear. i need help with this i want my tank to look goo and stay healthy at the same time.. thanks

dragonmoray

Re: Too much microbubbles

by dragonmoray

Depending on how long your skimmer has been operating, it may settle down on it's own over the next week or so otherwise you need to get hold of, or make, a bubble trap. this is basically a small box, or series of small containers that your skimmers return flow goes into before it's pumped back to the tank. They are usually filled with filter foam, filter wool and other stuff like that which is meant to trap the microbubbles. Sometimes when a skimmer is used with ozone, they are used filled with carbon to remove the residual ozone from the water. Microbubbles from skimmers is a fairly regular problem and some manufacturers include bubble traps with their skimmers, but it looks like yours hasn't. It may be worth a google or you can try ozreef, which has a stack of diy links for all things marine tank.
Hope this helps you.
Jase

john90009

by john90009

it came with a diffuser and i used t how ever micro bubles still come out so i added more finner foam hopefully that will work. your tank looks good it was one of the first ones that i liked and is not like evryone elses.

dragonmoray

by dragonmoray

Thanks, it's around 5 months old now, still got a little way to go, and will soon be getting a decent camera so i can update again and add some macros as well. Like i said though, it can take a skimmer around a week or so to settle in properly, but i think you'll find a bit of tweaking here and there should sort it. Remember, the flow rate recommended by the manufacturer is only a guide, and each tank is different so if your skimming a watery gunk, then you may have too much water flow for the air, so reducing the water flow and/or increasing the airflow should thicken it up a bit. This will increase the efficiency of your skimmer. They can be a PITA to set up just right, but worth it!
Regards
Jase

john90009

by john90009

would you have any ideas as to what corals i can have in my tank its 55 gallons, and i have 260 watts of power compacts 2 are 12k and the other are 03 actinic. i know sps require metal halids but are there some sps that can survev if i put it at the top, they have more colow then some of the soft and lps corals

dragonmoray

by dragonmoray

TBH i don't think you'll get much colour or very fast growth from SPS corals unless you have the correct lighting and water flow for them. As far as species that may be kept under moderate lighting i've heard Montipora Digitata and Capricornis, Pocillopora Damicornis and Acropora Forbesi. There are some stunning LPS corals - check out Tubastrea, Blastomussa, Galaxia, Euphillia and Plerogyra. Just as a reminder, for soft corals theres Ricordea, Rhodactis Inchoata 'Tonga Purple', Sarcophyton Elegans, Zoanthids of every colour you can imagine, Pachyclavularia - the list goes on. Please remember if you decide to go for stony corals that they have particular care requirements with respect to lighting, water flow, calcium, alkalinity levels etc. Read and read and read again, do loads of investigation and of course theres loads of info online as well. All the successful stony coral tanks you may see are all the result of careful planning, considered stocking, correct conditions and a thorough understanding of the animals requirements in captivity. Whatever you decide to do i wish you much success for your efforts.
Regards
Jase

Donovan3408

micro bubbles

by Donovan3408

You can route your skimmer return to a different chamber of your wet/dry. Away from your main return. I have had luck with this.

cbapba15

by cbapba15

GET A EURO= REEF SKIMMER.SAY GOOD BY TO BUBBLES

tangerine

by tangerine

off topic,cbapba15,do you need to post in big caps?

Too much microbubbles

9 posts