How to keep an overcrowded tank functional?

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

schapmankahuna

by schapmankahuna

Ok everyone I'm newer to the hobby and I overcrowded my tank. It's a 10 gallon community tank with 20 gallons of filtration. I have 1 rainbowfish, 1 albino cory catfish, 4 glofish tetra, and 6 neon tetra. All fish look healthy and are active. My question is how to keep it that way while overcrowded? I'm unable to move any fish to larger tank at this time and have grown attached to them so I don't want to give any away. Would doing 25 percent water change every other day keep ammonia at bay?

rich b.

Re: How to keep an overcrowded tank functional?

by rich b.

Doesn't sound overcrowded, but others will disagree. That's roughly 1 fish per gallon of water not allowing for sand, decor and such. I have a way more crowding condition, no problems (now) and the secret seems to be a good cycling of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. 0 on all 3 levels. Do a 6 gal. water change daily (2 buckets) and have high microbe content. Done via filter, lava rock and related additives, heavily aerated also. Air stone and 2 divers.

asartain

Re: How to keep an overcrowded tank functional?

by asartain

Do frequent water changes, but not TOO often. You want to keep a certain amount of beneficial bacteria in there with your fish. Live plants and algae (although not aesthetically pleasing) will provide oxygen and break down fish waste. I agree with the person who said to make sure you have plenty of oxygen. Plants, algae, and oxygen stones will help with this. Good luck and happy fish keeping!

3 posts