new to aquarium

4 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

chic

new to aquarium

by chic

my fish scales look like their dry. been having trouble with water in the tank. High ammonia levels been doing water changes frequently. Tank is about 2 wks. They gave to different advice about feeding them ended up over feeding. Had nothing but trouble after that. The fish are active and eating There no unusual behavior just confused

guru

Re: new to aquarium

by guru

Did you cycle you tank b4 you added fish?

capie

by capie

When you are new you will always be unsure and confused..just always check that your fishes are happy and then you know you are doing something right. I failed about 5 times in the beginning. I have lost a few good fishes but that is how I learned. Always try to get cheap fishes for your first tank and if they are still alive after twee weeks that’s when you add the beautiful ones. Never be afraid to fail because you will only learn with that mistake .In my first tank I have about 10 fishes and I feed them every morning before I leave for work, not a lot just enough for them. I am busy with another tank where i am breeding Angels and I only feed them every second day. Learn to know you fishes and never take advise from a local pet shop , they are only trying to make money out of you.

cheddapop

by cheddapop

You are having an ammonia spike probably because you havent established a solid bacterial colony. You need to make sure that you have plenty of biological filtration. The next thing you need to do is treat your tank with a full coarse of product called "stability" made by seachem. That will add alot of beneficial bacteria to your filtration. After a week of that you should notice the nitrogen cycle has been set into motion. So you will want to start testing for nitrates as well. If you are still having ammonia issues after that, you are either overfeeding or over populated. Feel free to post the complete specs of your aquarium so that we can better help you as well.

new to aquarium

4 posts