Back in the Game, Filtration question

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

wlharpold

by wlharpold

Well its been a few years since I gave up my aquariums I had a 75 fresh water with two marineland 350 mag. and the salt water had sump filtration. Im starting over again but this time with a 125 gallon reef/fish setup. Im wondering if someone can give me some ideas on the best filer setup to us. I really dont want to go back with a sump because of the noise and water spills. Im looking at spending probably around $400-500 for filtration. any help would be greatly appreciated.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

That's a tough one.. Is there any plan? Canister, hang on back, wet/dry maybe? I can give you some good hints if you have something in your mind.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

to quote saltwater pimps thoughts., and my future set up plans.............if your tank isn't set up yet have it drilled [at least 2 holes, maybe even drill it in two places, on a tank that big, still 2 holes in each place] and put a skimmre box or boxes on it. [two holes so incase for some reason one plugs {unlikely} then stay with the sump but use vinal hose for you returns to the tank.....pvc "rattles" under pump pressure sometimes. but use pvc for the lines from the tank to the sump, try to use sweeps and 45's as opposed to 90's as much as possable {another noise creator}, then you can hang bags of media for the water to flow through on the bottoms of the pvc lines as it goes into the sump [no "junk in the sump" so to speak,lol. The reason for the drilled tank and skimmer boxes.....is this will eliminate spills in the event of a power outage or pump failure - - the water can only drop to the level of the skimmer box {no syphon} so you can't break it and pump to much to the tank either, look at saltwaterpimps profile, you can see the skimmer box in a couple of his picks.....it's simple and it works, less power consumption, etc.................................so well that I'm buying that tank from him in the near future...good luck, Snowboss

wlharpold

by wlharpold

On my old 75 gallon salt water I had a marineland tidelpool 2 and im really hoping to stay away from that kind of set up. I did like the mag 350 but kind of wanted to get away from having to run two of them so I have been looking at the fluval fx5 and adding a Current fission protien skimmer and lots of live rock. any suggestions on how well this will work.

snowboss

by snowboss

IMO...live rock and live sand are the best by far for biological filtration......a good skimmer is paramount to keep live matierials at optimum output.........I am not familure with the Fx5 filters or the current skimmers.... im running a small red sea skimmer on my tank and will be buying an ASM G2 skimmer for my 65 gallon when it gets here.......they are monsters but from what i hear and read they are indestructable and extemely efficient

http://www.aquatictech.com/protein_skimmers.htm

what you are stateing sounds perfect to me ....so far.......good luck _ Boss

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Hey wlharpold,

I just set up a Marineland C-160 canister on my nano reef. Check them out by chance. They have a shut off valve you never seen before. Drip free waterchanges guaranteed. There's no water pass by of an kind. no bubbles, great system. I'd recommend to anyone who wan't to buy a canister . I think the biggest one is 330 g/hr. i took the biomedia out and replace them with small pieces of live rocks. Now it has mora corraline than my main tank..lol... You can buy one and give em a shot.. You might like it and you can get anoter.. I never dealed with Fluvals before, but I heard tons of pros about their canisters... That's up to you.. I like canister. Have to watch you nitrate a bit closer, but it's still not that bad.

I run a Aquac Remora skimmer on my tank, man I love that stuff. Very fast break in time, great results. I have to say a bit noisey, but I can dealed with that. I never owned a better skimmer before.

6 posts