Tricks to having a super clear freshwater fishtank

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

omcdonnell

by omcdonnell

I have a 50 gallon freshwater tank with about 22-25 fish in it (7 neon tetras, 6 guppies, 4 corys, barbs, a loach, and a few others)(no snails). I know limiting how you feed your fish, having good filters, and making sure your chemical levels are all things that have to do with having clear water but does anyone have any other tricks they do? Please share..

guru

Re: Tricks to having a super clear freshwater fishtank

by guru

Stress zyne seem to work on my tanks. keeps the waste of the fish down from making the water cloudy. Also my water an Glass are clean, i dont even use the magnet glass cleaner anymore.

nickb86

Re: Tricks to having a super clear freshwater fishtank

by nickb86

Regular maintenance, careful consideration of fish stock, and plastic/silk plants. My tank always looks spotlees like in my photographs and my silk plants never discolour.

I do the following:

Weekly:
- Remove all décor in one side of aquarium.
- Wash plastic/silk plants individually.
- Gravel Vac 50% of tank, removing around 33% water.
- Replace with fresh water, 75% RO in my case (hot water for getting correct temp).
- Remove foam filter pad (I cut these into three) and wash the bottom most pad.
- Clean exterior glass.

Bi-Weekly - same as above plus:
- Remove activated carbon pad and wash it or replace it (one or the other). Each pad stays in the tank for approximately one month. In that time it is washed once (aprox. 14 days).
- Wipe down interior glass with sponge.

Bi-Annual:
Strip down entire tank:
- Vacuum gravel.
- Wash all decor.
- Clean glass and remove water line.
- Replace 50% of filter media (but still keeping the dirty foam and activated carbon pads).

With regards to stocking, I under-stock, use a feeding rink to keep food in one place (and feeding tubes for feeding the shrimp) and Shrimp. One shrimp for every two fish.

Walla, clean tank :).

3 posts