30 Months No Water Change

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

WARNING: ONLY EXPERIENCED HOBBYISTS SHOULD ATTEMPT THIS

Latest update to the 55 gallon freshwater all natural ecosystem as of June 9, 2014.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 25
Temperature: 80-82

Only natural wood, live plants, naturally grown cladophora and rock with a water pump (for the fish require a stream-like movement and oxygen) and a heater to keep temperature consistent at 80-82 all year round.

Not a fish death in 4 months.

18 fish in all (semi-aggressive): Opaline Gouramis (7), Red Tail Shark (1), Black Khuli Loaches (4), Dwarf Chain Loaches (4); Trumpet Snails (over 200); Olive Nerite Snails (4, each over 6 years old), Ramshorn Trumpets (over 50); live plants, cladophora (naturally grown), rock, white sand, and malaysian wood.

I used to liquid water test the tank, I stopped this practice on January 27, 2013 (unless there is a death in the tank). I rely solely on observation. I top off the tank with about 5 gallons of freshwater non-chemical water each week due to evaporation. The tank is entirely lit by the window/sunlight and there is no filtration in the tank. Key to maintaining the tank in this manner are two things: observation and never overfeeding.

The fish are healthy, robust and active.

In October 2014 will be the three year anniversary of not performing water changes. I will update regarding the tank at that time.

Happy Fishing!!!

yasherkoach

Re: 30 Months No Water Change

by yasherkoach

I appreciate your comments. See the pictures attached to this reply. Pictures taken on June 10, 2014.
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

More pictures June 10, 2014
10.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

More pictures June 10, 2014...hope you enjoy the pictures
14.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Cladophora grew simply from the sunlight and water. The trumpet snails breed in the algae. I trim it only when it ties itself around the anubias plants (only type of plants I have had).

Thanks for the new pictures, interesting. I like the two top pictures, very nice.

I used to have shrimp years ago but I cannot now for the red tail shark would drive them to death.

5 posts