Newbie needs Advice

5 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

poseidon

Newbie needs Advice

by poseidon

It would be nice to get some feed back on my 8 gallon I just set up last week. Check my profile for the specs of everything about my setup. The picture is still pending. Any feed back would be awesome!

poseidon

Re: Newbie needs Advice

by poseidon

Thanks for the oooooober long reply. Really a lot of good advice. Just an update on the ghost shrimp. They are the fresh water kind and actually we're not expensive at all. Only cost 33cents at petsmart. One shrimp did die yesterday. However all the other shrimp and fish seem to be full of energy. I feed them twice a day and have a the lights on for 12 off for 12. The plant are all growing aside from the angel hair grass. The grass is still green, but just doesn't seem to be spreading throughout the tank like I have read they do. The tank is still cloudy after 3 weeks. Should it be clear by now? Should I get a different filter?

poseidon

by poseidon

Well prior to reading your latest reply... I had already fed my fish this morning. LOL. I will cut back on their feeding schedule now and see if that helps with the clarity of the water.

So you sort of cut yourself off with the blah blah blah's on the NO2, but I would really like to hear what you have to say about it. Right now I use the liquid form and put in the prescribed amount once a day. The plants are growing, like I said previously, but who knows if the NO2 is a direct factor in their growth so far. Do you use any "plant food", like the plant tabs or the liquid plant food? Also, have you ever had to move...like move move to a different house with your tanks? If so how did you go about doing it with the fish?

fitnessfun

by fitnessfun

The type of tank you get matters more then you might think. I have been doing some research and I have found out there are tanks that act as picture frames, tanks that glow, and tanks that can be furniture! I love how many kinds of fish tanks are available but it's a bit overwhelming too. =s

http://www.squidoo.com/best-home-aquariums

tmercier83

by tmercier83

Sound advice from Panthony. =D

Just as a point of reference for growing plants--I never used tabs or any fluid fertilizer or any of that other stuff, and my tank [at least] once looked like it does in my profile photo.

That tank had 60w on it or 3.75wpg and I used a nutrafin canister that utilized a bubble ladder to dissolve the CO2 into the water column. These have to be handled carefully though because without the right mixture in the canister it could potentially explode into the tank (through the little air hose) and cause a mini disaster. I never witnessed it but I still think that might've been the cause of my flora's demise. I was never actually able to quite figure out exactly what BGA (blue-green algae----isn't actually algae) results from but it is terrible stuff.

The substrate was a mixture of fluorite and playsand.

Newbie needs Advice

5 posts