"Newly" set 10 gallon tank with dying fish

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

wstlyguy

by wstlyguy

I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank that I originally used as a temporary home for some cichlids (see my profile.) I used old water and gravel to start this tank and was getting consistent test levels with the cichlids. But they were only there temporarily as I built a stand for and setup their old 30 gallon home. After they left, we decided to use the temporary tank for some smaller fish (like my first 10 gallon also on my profile) we added some gravel, ended up replacing 6 gallons of water (in favor of giving that old water to the cichlids) and some decorations. After a week of consistent levels, we got four CHEAP zebra dannios to help cycle the tank. Eventually, we also added 2 small angel fish, purchased at a national pet store. A week later the angel fish started dying. One started swimming in circles and eventually died. The other just went two days later. As these weren't cheap we returned them for our money back and chocked it up to them being from the national store. But soon after the dannios started dying too! Over the past 2 weeks we have lost a total of 4 fish. Now we are left with two VERY active dannios. They seem fine, but I want to know what happened to be sure they're ok.

We use an Aqua-tech 5-15 Power Filter and we do also have two airstones. We have an incandescent tank lid that we only have on from morning feeding to evening feeding, thats two feedings of a pinch of Tetra Tropical Flakes.

My latest tests are the same as always;

Temp 76*
NO4 0.25
NO3 0
NO2 0
pH 7.5
KH 60
GH 40

And these readings are taken using API test strips. I do keep a log on my phone of all my tanks. So if a history of readings is needed I can give it, but as I said, the readings have stayed consistent.

I should also note that the tank is a touch cloudy. This is only noticeable because I have it next to my old, crystal clear, 10 gallon tank. You can't see it in pictures.

So, any help would be great. I'm still pretty new at this! I'm trying to read what I can but this has me stumped.

wstlyguy

Re: "Newly" set 10 gallon tank with dying fish

by wstlyguy

I forgot to note that I have done extra water changes, yesterday I did 2 gallons, and I do use water treatment.

krazzy

by krazzy

Hi!

I know that you postes that a mon and a half ago but heh! I'm fairly new at this and trying to get more people to respond. First thing that I thought reading your post was that maybe your tests strips are expired? Could be the amonia since they release a lot of it in the first 2 weeks. I don't know how many time it was before you bought those Angel fish. What i knowis that maybe using old wat isn't a good idea. To set a a tank i set it up completly and fill it up with treated water. I usually wait for 4 weeks at least before adding fish. I personnaly feed my fish only once a day and if you don't have bottom feeders, it's important that you clean out all the extra good. Maybe that's why you water was a bit cloudy. I don't know it's only an opinion since I am a begginer myself. Maybe try to add only 2 fish at a time. Maybe that having only a 10 gallon can change someing.

I hope that you were able to establish a new thank since them.

And sorry for all my mistakes, i'm super french. Haha.

Alasse

by Alasse

A 10 gal is too small for angels, please do not add that fish type back in there...

I'm guessing the tank was far overstocked, especially being a new uncycled tank. This would be why your fish were dying.

4 zebra danios is plenty for that sized tank, maybe in 6-8 weeks time you could then add a few shrimp to help keep the excess food under control.

andrecarneiro

by andrecarneiro

Ammonia and nitrite are the biggest culprits . And for cycling purposes I'd go with mollies. They have a high tolerance to the above mentioned

dieting

by dieting

To set a a tank i set it up completly and fill it up with treated water. I usually wait for 4 weeks at least before adding fish. I personnaly feed my fish only once a day and if you don't have bottom feeders, it's important that you clean out all the extra good. Maybe that's why you water was a bit cloudy. I don't know it's only an opinion since I am a begginer myself. Maybe try to add only 2 fish at a time. Maybe that having only a 10 gallon can change someing.???

6 posts