Urgent help please, guppy looks like she will pop soon!!

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

msamor11

by msamor11

Hi I'm sorry to b dramatic but I can't start losing even one fish! I just live them. This is a little tank I bought my boys for their room. Got this female in January and she was pregnant. She has had two small sets of fry- only about 4 that I saw and I think both times she ate all but one so there is just her and two babies. Also there is a bristle nose albino cat fish and a kooli loach. Anyway I read online she may be holding her other fry in due to conditions and have been very careful trying to get everything right in the tank. All other fish are fine, but she has just continued to progressively get bigger and bigger! If she was already pregnant in January 1 when I got her, I now realise she can't possibly still be and there haven't been any other males since. She is massive in the stomach and her spine seems a bit bent. About 6 weeks ago I treated tank with multicure at per stores advice as she had beginning signs of fungal on her, but that disappeared very fast with medicine. Did two treats to be sure. What could this possibly be? I don't want her to die and my boys will be so upset if the babies lose their mother too.

msamor11

Re: Urgent help please, guppy looks like she will pop soon!!

by msamor11

Pic of mother[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
image.jpg

randyw

by randyw

Sorry to hear about your girl, I am also fond of my fish so understand what you mean. I had exactly the same thing happen to my female guppy yesterday. She looked very similar to your female. I noticed her resting on the bottom and acting lethargic. By the afternoon she had passed away. :( I still don't know what was wrong. Her back side by the birthing area was really bloated and it looked like the outside skin was almost broke open, like a pimple.

The day before I fed dried tubifex worms, don't know if there is any relation. Could it be severe constipation or overeating? How is yours acting? She looks like she is going poo ok on the photo. Maybe try feeding her veggies like frozen cooked peas? It would be worth a try. My girl also had red skin on her left side and couldn't move her left fin. Does your fish have that? Sorry I am not much help right now but it's strange that the same thing happened to mine.

My guppy was the great-great grandma the others I have. Maybe when they get older sometimes they have trouble giving birth normally? do you know how old your female is?

msamor11

by msamor11

Thanks for your reply. She is def poohing regularly but she also does seem to frantically steel most of the food first. She always acts hungry too. I don't know how old she is iv had her for 4.5mnths. Ill def try the peas when u get home. I have fed them frozen blood works before, I'm wondering if overheating severely just a few times could do this? I think my 3 to may have snuck some food in a couple if times after I'd already fed them so I ended up keeping the food right up high so he can't do it anymore. She has just never stopped looking pregnant and has instead continuously just gotten bigger and bigger. Very sad. As a last resort I tried retreating with multi cure again yesterday incase she is actually sick, I didn't know what else to do. She isn't red or opened anywhere and all find are fine :(

fishgirl9894

by fishgirl9894

I have been raising guppies for years now and this is something that happens every now and then. Based off the picture provivded it looks like dropsy. Dropsy is not a disease but a symptom of another one. My 4 year guppy just passed sadly due to this issue. Over all it is really organ failure which will eventually affected the brain.It can be painful for the fish. If you want to make her as happy as possible just add some aquarium salt and it helps with the swelling. There is no way to cure it and she will just pass soon. I am very sorry to hear this is happening to you too. Its hard but she will be in a better place. I hope this helped you. Also it is more common in older fish.

5 posts