Ammonia outta control during cycle.

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

steveo

by steveo

Okay, so I have been poking around on the net alot and figured I wold go ahead an ask because I am brand new to this and do not want to kill my fish. I was given a Koi and during transit he lost his home and what a mess that was, but never the less I went out to Wal-mart and bought him a 20 gal home with a filter and a light!!!! "I know spoiled right?" Anyways, I noticed he wasnt doing so well an started reading up on new tanks and fish and the cyclng process. So I went out and bought an ammonia test kit, well... to my astonishment it was 7+ did not read any higher. I felt awful. Changed water immiediately. 100% Then I got ready for my cycle. Its been a week, I do PWC twice a day because my ammonia level gets to 2 so I pull 2-3 gal out treat 2-3 gal with decholinator and add it. A few hours later its back up too 2 again. Am doing something wrong? I have a 3inch KOI 20 Gal tank two air stones cranked up. I would like to keep my fish happy during the cycle as he had a rough previous week. What can I do? Thank you for opinions and advice. -Steve

mcfaddy212000

Re: Ammonia outta control during cycle.

by mcfaddy212000

You need to be doing bigger water changes ( 50%+) and more often during a fish in cycle. The biggest problem here is the fish and it needs to be in an aquarium (800 gallons) that most aquarist houses cant hold or handle. Koi are pond fish that can reach well over a couple feet long. My advice to you would be build a pond or find someone that has one that can take care of the fish you have. Then i would start over learning more about the nitrogn cycle and what all you can keep in a 20 gallon.

2 posts