Upsizing from 5 gal to 20 gal tank

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

davidsmom

by davidsmom

Hi - my 9 year old is getting a 20 gallon tank next week, moving up from the 5 gallon tank he has had for a couple of years (wanted to make sure he would stay interested, and he has). What is the best way to transition the fish from the old tank to the new one, and to cycle the tank water? I would assume we would use the "old" water in the new tank, and would hope that would shorten the cycling time somewhat, and make life easier for the fish in their new home. I am unclear about the steps to take to make a successful transition...should I set up the new tank and put in some of the "old" water and perhaps some of the gravel or plants, to get it started, then add water gradually or all at once, or do I treat the new tank from scratch and ignore all that lovely bacteria in the old tank? It seems to make more sense to use the established tank water etc., but obviously the fish need to live somewhere during this time so I can't just dump all the old stuff into the new tank (or can I?) He has a few guppies, lemon tetras and a khuli loach, all of whom have proven themselves pretty durable so far, but I don't want to sacrifice them for the sake of conditioning the new tank. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Alasse

Re: Upsizing from 5 gal to 20 gal tank

by Alasse

Water holds very little bacteria. So moving it over will be pretty pointless.

The gravel, decor and filter are the places that hold the beneficial bacteria, if all these can be moved over to the new tank, with new water, then the fish (when its up to temperature)

Do not add any new fish while the bigger tank adjusts, you may get a mini cycle so please get a test kit and keep an eye on the water stats. Once the tank is stable you can slowly start stocking more fish :)

davidsmom

by davidsmom

Thanks - this is sounding slightly less complicated than I thought. I will move all the "furniture" first, then add new water, then the fish. I will leave them in the "old" tank during the move. The new tank has a new filter, so it won't be helpful with the cycling, I guess- should I move the old filter over until things are settled, then replace it with the new one? I am trying to avoid any kind of mass fish death - my little guy knows each and every fish!

Good advice re monitoring the water - I will keep testing it as we go. How long should we expect to wait till everything is stablized and we can get some additional fish, do you think? I know it will be my son's first question!

Thanks very much!

Alasse

by Alasse

Yep leave the fish til last (in the old tank) If you can i would bag them for the transfer to the new tank, float the bags in the new tank for about 30-40min, slowly adding some new tank water during this time.

Definately move he old filter to the new tank, run the new filter with it, the new one will colonise bacteria more speedily that way. Or if he filters are similar, take all the media (sponge, noodles etc) out of the old one and put in the new filter.

You will definately want the old filter or media in the new tank.

I cant give an exact time frame before you can add new fish, but rest assured it is not something you want to rush. Testing will give you an accurate time to when the tank is stable :) It could be fine from the get go, or it may take a week or 2. Thats why i suggest testing regularly after the changeover :) I personally would not even think of adding anything new for at least a week after the changeover. It can be stressful on the fish, and adding new fish could stress the current fish and tank more than you want

Hope that helps :)

davidsmom

by davidsmom

Yikes - I think I lost the last post where I was thanking you for your great advice! If so, sorry and if it's not lost, sorry for repeating myself :o) (Can you tell I am Canadian?) At any rate, I really appreciate your common-sense advice, and I think the transition will be pretty smooth. I like your suggestion about bagging the fish - this is familiar territory from bringing new fish home from the store, but I wouldn't have thought of it for the move. Thanks again!

5 posts