parasites?

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

sumpnfishy

parasites?

by sumpnfishy

Can't figure why some of my fish flash and the others dont? They don't have Ich, though I treated for it.. thinking it was the first stages. I've used Maracide, salt, and Pimafix (seperately), but some still continue to flash. 20gh tank w/ 40g ipf. Amm. 0, nitri. 0, nitra. 20ppm. Regular water changes (50%/wk), along with monthly gravel vacs. Any suggestions on what may be the cause and cure?? Thnx!

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: parasites?

by natalie265

How long have they been doing it? Is it something they do a lot or just occassionally? Do they seem otherwise healthy? Any spots, sores or anything like that? What type of fish are they?

sumpnfishy

Re Re: parasites?

by sumpnfishy

Thanx for responding Natalie. It started late August, early September. I had four odessa barbs (all rip now.. not from parasites, but from the aquarium salt i used to try and cure), blackskirt tetras (which i've seen flash only a couple times), cory cats (only a couple times), and gold wonder killifish (which doesn't really flash but more or less scrapes his under throat area against plant leaves (artificial) or on the driftwood). i bought 4 more odessas, and now 1 of them has started. I haven't seen the skirts or cories doing it at all lately and for awhile now, but the others on occasions. No signs of injuries or spots, all lively and with GOOD appetites.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

This has bothered me for years. Sometimes my fish will 'flash' as you say; rub themselves against plants and branches. Then they'll die. Other time my fish will 'flash' as you say and are fine. I still haven't figured out why and it happens in all my tanks and always has. I find that some species do it while others don't. For example my Elassoma gilberti do not ever do it. The guppies and swordtails do it all the time. I still haven't figured out why, but I'm not sure if it's cause for concern.

sumpnfishy

Re Re: parasites? {Okiimiru}

by sumpnfishy

Thanx for responding as well Okiimiru. Did you ever try and treat for this, and if so what did you use? From what I've read, this is not "normal" behavior in fish. It was said that its as if something {parasites} is "biting" at them, and they flash or scrape in an attempt to dislodge whatever "it" is.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I am also wondering whether or not there is cause for concern. If they only do it occasionally and seem otherwise healthy, maybe there is nothing wrong with them.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Oh I've used plenty of antibiotics and antiparasitics over the years. Never have my livebearers not 'flashed'. I know they do it more when the water is dirty, but they never stop doing it completely.

The funny thing is during the years I kept pygmy sunfish I never saw them flash, not once. It really depends on what fish species you have, how prone they are to that moment. Elassoma don't make sudden movements. It's not in their nature. So even if they were super super itchy, they don't flash.

sumpnfishy

Re Re: parasites?

by sumpnfishy

Thanx for the responses.. maybe it is nothing too serious, because like i said only some do it and others dont. Also, otherwise they seem very healthy. I'll just continue to monitor and keep posted.

parasites?

8 posts