Changing mechanical filtration

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

sumpnfishy

by sumpnfishy

Hello all. I have an Aqueon 40 internal power filter on my 20 gallon tank. The mechanical filter cartridges have carbon in them and it seems as though they are designed in a way that you can't take the carbon out. Whereas you have to continuously buy new ones approx. every month, so you don't have deactivated carbon which I understand starts to release chemicals back into the water. I spoke with someone at a lfs, and explained my situation and what I wanted to do, which was to remove the cartridge altogether and put some other kind of media there. They gave me a sheet of which appears to be like filter wool to use and i also bought a media bag and some carbon which i could put in myself if needed. My question is: First, is this a good idea and second when putting the wool in, does it need to be jam tight or left with some space and if so.. how much? Sorry for the length, but just want to make sure I'm making myself clear. Thanx in adv. for responses.

yasherkoach

Re: Changing mechanical filtration

by yasherkoach

Carbon cleans the water. Only time you need to take the carbon out is if you medicate the tank, for the carbon will deplete the tank of the potency.

The gallons per hour should be twice the tank size. I looked up your filter and it's over twice, so this is very good.

The best thing to do with a filter is you don't want the jam it so tight that it restricts the water flow. It appears from the link from Aqueon - http://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/ ... 74412.htm# - that the filter bag is fine as it is.

Of course I am partial to bio-wheels. Marineland Emperor BIO-Wheel Powerfilters are the best with the hang on the back types, it provides a lot of room to add all types of media.

The key is, try not to restrict the water flow. If you can accomplish this, you'll be fine.

I'm sure others can help you too. Let us know how it goes.

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: Changing mechanical filtration

by natalie265

But, yes, carbon loses effectivness after about a month and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if it actually releases harmful chemicals back into the water...does it really do that?

sumpnfishy

Re Re: Changing mechanical filtration

by sumpnfishy

Thanx for responding. Well as you know the internet has a wealth of information {imo sometimes too much} and somewhere i read that. After going back to confirm, I read some that says "not". My thing is though, if I do need to medicate for something I'll need to take out the carbon, but with this particular filter you can't open mechanical filter, dump the carbon and then return it so as not to lose any bb.

4 posts