Is it algae I want???

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: Is it algae I want???

by natalie265

Hair algae won't hurt your fish, but in your attempt to grow it, you may find it grows in places other that where you want it. It could get out of control, but if you want to try it, adding more lighting is probably the best way to go about it. A little bit of sunlight would probably do the trick.

Personally, I really like the look of java moss on driftwood if it is kept in check. Riccia is another popular one, but it needs high lighting. There is also something in the trade called "christmas tree moss" but i don't know much about that one.

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: Is it algae I want???

by natalie265

I don't think adding one 15 watt plant bulb would be very beneficial. Java fern does fine in low light anyways. Not sure about the fanwort. I have some (if it's the same thing as cabomba which is the name i know it by) and it grows like a weed, but i have really high lighting.

You could also try anubias which does fine in low lights as does one of my all time favorites: cryptocoryn wendtii. Anubias holds up really well to plant nibbles, but it grows best attached to driftwood.

Is it algae I want???

2 posts