39 Gallon planted/community tank

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

evnsmm05

by evnsmm05

Hi all :)
I have two established 10 gallon tanks that are doing great but I am starting a new 39 gallon tank just started a fish cycle 24 hours ago I have 3 zebra danios and they are doing great. Also I have 2 small broad leaf anubias plants on rock in there as well. I have a couple of questions :)

1. How long will it take with the size of tank I have for the cycle to be complete/add more fish?

2. I LOVE schooling fish I would like to add a couple more zebra danios and one maybe two more small schools and then one main "show" fish and a couple of shrimp, Also want more plants. What would be a good group for my tank and how many?

3. How long to wait in between adding fish so they are not getting anymore stressed out then they are?

I do appreciate all of your help!!!

evnsmm05

Re: 39 Gallon planted/community tank

by evnsmm05

If I stocked my 39g tank with the following would it be ok or overstocked? And would these fish get along?

4-6 Zebra Danios
3-4 Cherry Shrimp
4-6 Cherry Barbs
2-3 Dwarf Gourami
1 Clown loach
and I would also like to get a centerpiece fish but don't know what would work with all the other fish
Thank you!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Take some of your filter media from your established 10 gallons and add it to your new tank's filter. Your tank will effectively be cycled instantly. You'll still need to be careful not to add too many fish too soon because the established media won't be enough to take care of a fully stocked 39 gallon.

I think your stocking sounds great except for the clown loach. In my opinion, they get too big for your tank. Plus they prefer to be in schools. You could do a school of cories instead.

As for a centerpiece fish, i think an angel might be nice, although it would probably eat the cherry shrimp.

evnsmm05

by evnsmm05

Thank you so much for your advice and will use it! Thank you for your time :)

4 posts