How to design around multi colored neon gravel??

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mazap

by mazap

Hi! I am stumped. My husband and i finally decided to get a tank for our kids and we ended up with a 30 gallon freshwater. He is more seasoned than i with aquarium care,so we are ok so far on that. My problem is the hideous multi-colored neon gravel that my two boys so proudly came home from the fish store with ;). I am trying hard to embrace their choice, and realize that a designer tank is not in our near future. Anyone have any ideas for decor??? Do i embrace the total cheesyness of it and get complimenting crazy colored fake plants etc? Or do i try to tame it down with some more natural looking scapes? I feel that if i do the latter the tank will look even worse than just going with the neon flow of things. The tank was prepped 2 nights ago with water and neon gravel placement, and tonight some of the fish made their debut, so i think it is too late to replace gravel.... Any help serious or comical would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: How to design around multi colored neon gravel??

by natalie265

Very amusing topic!

I think i like your first option of just going all out cheesy with neon plants, maybe one of those divers and a "no fishing sign" :D Could be cool in a kischy sort of way.

Hopefully at some point, the kids will get bored with it and welcome a new look. At that point, you could try to steer them towards something more natural looking.

grayantimatter

Re: How to design around multi colored neon gravel??

by grayantimatter

Embrace it. It will actually look more absurd if you go with live plants or natural looking fake plants. Get some silly neon colored plants. And it will be easy to find decorations to go with that at any Petsmart, PetCo type store. Keep it going with the fish, Red Wag Platy, Cardinal Tetra, Marigold Swordtails, Cherry Shrimp or Blueberry Shrimp. Just no "Painted" Glass....

Then when the kids are ready to go with something more natural or dark the sharp colored fish will look great against that.

3 posts