New Tank

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lids

New Tank

by lids

Hey everyone.
I am starting my first tank and was just wondering what would be good fish to start off with. My tank is 10 galloons. I was thinking about maybe an angelfish or two and maybe 2-3 mollies with that. Is that a good start? Please let me know. Thanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: New Tank

by natalie265

Sorry, ten gallons is much too small for an angel fish. Mollies might be okay, but they require hard, alkaline water to thrive. I think platies are a similar, but better choice. They stay smaller than mollies so you can get more of them.

Good for you for doing some research before you dump the fish in the tank. If you haven't read up on cycling yet, please do that before you buy your first fish. Not understanding how to cycle a new tank is probably the leading cause of fish deaths among newbies.

lids

by lids

Ok, angelfish are out of the question then. I will get some mollies and neons then. I have read up on how to cycle and I think I should be good. I will post a picture tomorrow when I get the fish. Thanks

lids

by lids

Maybe some Tiger Barbs?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Tiger barbs are beautiful, but notoriously nippy. They tend to be less nippy in a good sized school. Unfortunately, you don't have room for a good sized school. Personally, i wouldn't do it. Sorry, ten gallons is going to limit you quite a bit because it's so small.

outofexile

by outofexile

I would look at German Rams, maybe some Corys. All kinds of Tetras and Danios.

lids

by lids

Well I got my fish. I got five neon tetras and three rasboras. All of them are very small and look forward to watching them grow

lids

by lids

Make it six neons. I got an extra one it looks like

New Tank

8 posts