What are your biggest pet peeves about aquaruims?

10 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

inchesmon

by inchesmon

My biggest pet peeve when it comes to aquariums is the forever eyesore multi colored gravel, I'm talking about the one that has the pink, aqua green, blue and every other color you'd find in a crayola box! Sorry but it drives me up the wall lol!

Okiimiru

Re: What are your biggest pet peeves about aquaruims?

by Okiimiru

My biggest pet peeve is stuff that really likes growing in the tank but you really don't want it to. Especially when you remove what you think is all of it and it comes back.

I'm a cell biologist by trade so the best analogy I can make is that my fish tank is like a petri dish with tasty media in it. The fish and certain, specific species of plants are like the cells I want to culture. The algae and those annoying species of plants like duckweed are the fungus that contaminates my incubator. And there's no way to keep anything sterile :( *sad face*

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Ditto on the multi-colored gravel.

But i think my biggest pet peeve is people putting goldfish in tiny tanks and even bowls. I see people advertising tanks as small as 1/2 gallon on our local classifieds with the selling point: "perfect for goldfish!" It's tempting to respond to their ad telling them they are idiots.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Why not just add some Prime to your petri dish?

djsnowman06

by djsnowman06

ill defend some colored gravel and the duckweed. if u have a fun themed tank such as mine its not so bad ... provided the isnt 82 colors. also duckweed is really wonderful stuff if u dont have a planted tank. it quells algae growth by removing lots of nitrogen. also ... it removes lots of nitrogen!lol its roots are good at filtering larger particals and the give cover to fry and smaller fish. also when it gets outta control you just use ur dipnet to remove it. then it makes great compost fertilizer. u can even eat it! great stuff indeed lol

my pet peeve is those really unrealistic looking plants. especially if there are otherwise good looking ones in the tank aswell. they stick out and take away from the whole look no matter what kind of theme ur going for:)

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Tank flashes!

inchesmon

by inchesmon

@ dream2reef Tank flashes?

inchesmon

by inchesmon

@ djsnowman06 yeah i guess for a fun themed tank :P and i absolutly agree with you on the plants that stick out.

blackbee0045

by blackbee0045

I see people advertising tanks as small as 1/2 gallon on our local classifieds with the selling point: "perfect for goldfish!" It's tempting to respond to their ad telling them they are idiots.???

moo0oo

by moo0oo

-ornaments and coloured gravel
-people who keep ridiculous combinations of fish in bad tanks (I just saw a video of a 30cm long tank with 4 angelfish, a betta, a peacock eel and a goldfish)
-blue green algae

10 posts