blue hippo tang discoloration

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

handlink

by handlink

My 1.5 inch blue tang just started having light discoloration patches on the black area of it's body. At first I thought it was ick, but sources say pin-spots of white are more accurate for that. She is still active and eating, just these light patches in the black area of her body. Any thoughts?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Marine velvet a common disease with tangs. Sorta' bigger white spots on different parts of their body.. If this is the case there's a very useful medication out there, called ( im not 100% sure taht's the name of it though) Martell or Maurell, or something like that.. I have some but I have to found it first..

handlink

by handlink

More info...
55g.
nitrite/amonia=0.
Nitrate 30.
Ph 8.2.
78 degrees.
tank mates, Occellaris/Saddleback/Bangaii Cardinal/Firefish/Cleaner Shrimp
Eating Eating Marine Flakes/Frozen Brine/Nori

Unfortunately, I do not have access to a QT. If I have to treat her with some meds, is it okay to do so in the main tank with the other fish? I know that if Copper is the proper medication, that I would have to take the shrimp out. Thanks for the help.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

The copper levels are different in the medications, first you have to identify the disease. Don't just buy any copper based cure out there, buy the right one.
If you can send me a close picture one on one, I probably can help you to choose tre stuff you need.

Blue tangs are also "fade out" as they maturing.. But yours still small so I don't think that's the case..

The best way to cure a fish is a QT. If you don't have one, yes you can use your main tank, but do not plan on to put your shrimp back in the nearfuture. No live rocks, no corals.. Fish only, and artificial decoration, when you have to use copper based medications. You can add later, after a few waterchanges. You can buy copper test kit, so you'll be able to check the levels..
We live in a fast world today, so I bet there's good medications out there without any copper.. It's been a while I had sick fish, so I really couldn't keep up with all the new stuffs out there... Be lucky!

handlink

by handlink

Just came back from LFS and they think it's a fungus, giving me some copper free/reef safe meds to add to tank or to use in a 5-10 minute private dip. I'm thinking just to add to the tank because it might be too difficult and add too much stress to the tang to try and take her out for just 10 minutes. This medication is copper free and should be safe for the other fish and shrimp, plus I can continue to use it twice daily for 5 days like the bottle says instead of just a 1-time dip. LFS says to take charcoal out of the filter while using the meds though cause they dont mix well. I am thinking about getting a 10g tank to use as a QT for a week, but again, not sure if that will cause more damage. What do you think?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

If it's fungus, you can treat him in your main tank.. What did they gave you? Rid-fungus by Kent or Kordon i don't know for sure who makes it. Still the best would be if you could catch the certain fish put him on a soaked saltwater towel, and scrap the fungus off of him using the solution they gave you. If you need help I can tell you how to do this safely.If you are lucky enough the fungus is in the beginner status, so if you treat your fish in the main tank it might work as well. But the best way would be put the fish in a quarantine tank or at least to a bucket while you do a big water change. Vacuum the gravel clean the glass, and filters as well. After your fish has been treated you can put him back into the tank. Not to worry, scraping off fungus, not a big deal.. Stressful for a fish, but later he'll appreciate it. It's much harder to catch him though..

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

chems in the tank . . .usually always cause other issues down the road elswhere in the tank .... i think most of us have the same opinion ...if you must put them in - do so carefully and spareingly ....natural is the way the ocean is ....try to keep your tank the same way........if you can get a tank for quarentine then do so and make sure the paramitters are as close to each other as you possibly can get them ..temp, light cycle everything......................you may not have the time or the money to do this right now , so go with what you know and be safe....keep us posted , SNOWBOSS

handlink

by handlink

Thanks so much for all the support. Though I would have loved to QT her, it's just not very easy with my current setup, and I think it could do more harm then good at the moment. I followed the instructions and advice and am now medicating the tank with chem-marin. Good news is that this experience and your advice is motivating me to get a QT together very soon so that I can more efficiently deal with this type of situation in the future.

snowboss

by snowboss

Good deal man - - hey I don't have a QT tank as of yet so don't feel bad at all - - I'm in the process of getting a 65 set up and the 20 will remain up with minimal occupants and be a QT tank if I ever need one....let us know how the tang is doing and lets see some pics......Snowboss

9 posts