New Tank

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

cdrivera

New Tank

by cdrivera

I have recently set up a saltwater tank. It is currently empty except for saltwater. I have recently noticed that I am getting a white residue on the sides of the glass. The water itself is clear just everything glass including one of my heaters is covered in a white residue. I removed the heater to clean it and the particles were coming off in "chunks" (for lack of a better word). I am new to saltwater aquariums and I am trying to do everything right not get in a hurry and make sure everything is cycling properly. This is really concerning to me since I have live rock almost done curing and ready to go in the tank and do not want to place them in a corrupted tank. Please any help would be appreciated. Additional info: 150 gallon tank bought brand new 2-400 hang filters and 2-powerheards in tank.
Thanks again!

geegobal

Re: New Tank

by geegobal

Is it Salt (a.k.a. salt creep)?

reefer19732012

Re: New Tank

by reefer19732012

same issues at start up--its high salt. The first thing I learned was chunk the hydrometer they suck and give off as much as .20 ppm readings. In reef land .20 can be DEATH BY SALT
Lower salt to 1.024 then raise slow ..Ive noticed 1.024 to survive coral and fish border on 1.025 ...1.026 seems to stress the breathing..of new fish.

New Tank

3 posts