could i put some old tree roots in my fish tank?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

marcusrose123

by marcusrose123

i love my fish tank to bits. at work there is a large amount of roots where we have felled trees and had to dig the stumps up. there are some old apple tree roots which look really really cool and have an amazing shape, i was woundering if i could wash them and place them in my fish tank without harming any of my fish???

Okiimiru

Re: could i put some old tree roots in my fish tank?

by Okiimiru

Yes. They will slowly turn your water yellow but your fish won't mind.

Pictures of tanks with wood in them:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/show347.html
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/show295.html

These links are temporary. In the future people can google "Aquatic Gardener's Association aquascaping contest" for the current hyperlinks.

If you boil the wood, the hot water will leach out the finite number of tannins in the wood to get the majority of them out before the wood goes in your tank. Then it will turn your water yellow at a slower rate. When, after six months to a year it starts to grow fungus, remove the wood and get a new piece.

Alasse

by Alasse

You certainly can add them.

The white fungus that will grow on them is harmless, no need to throw it away, the fish will enjoy eating it and once its gone the wood will settle. Some of the wood i have here is 6+yrs old

Tannins are no problem for most fish, if you are putting it in with Africans or goldfish though, be aware tannins lower your PH.
If you can boil it the heat opens the wood fibres quicker to help get some tannins out quicker.
Or if you have a container you can put the wood in to let it soak for a month or so, that will help get some tannins out also

marcusrose123

by marcusrose123

i have 2 cuvier bichir, a black ghost knife fish, 3yoyo loaches, 2plecs, hope this doesnt make any difference?
nd yeah i have a spare tank so i very easily let the wood soak :)

Alasse

by Alasse

Nah all them fish should be cool with lower PH, it wont drop rapidly so wont shock the fish in any way.

If you dont want tea coloured water then soaking would be best :)

marcusrose123

by marcusrose123

i have my tree roots from work :)
i have cut them up into the right sided bits i want to to small but not huge still. however what am i going to boil them in????
any suggestions?

6 posts