Brown algae of doom or Sponge Bob Death Wish

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Baoyu

by Baoyu

Hi,

I have a 14 gallon (54 liter) freshwater tank (Classica). The filtration system works by passing the water horizontally through a tube above the water. The tube is perforated (like a flute) such that the water runs out all along its length and passes through a long, thin white pad (or more recently EHEIM Substrat Pro) and back down into the tank. I have been using a Baxter's solution for the chlorine/chloramine, Ocean Free Nature Earth in very small amounts, and the appropriate amounts of Ocean Free Special Treated Aquarium Salts. The pH is 7.2 and there is no detectable ammonia.

I had been keeping three goldfish (2 inches) and a small tiger loach. A couple of weeks ago I treated them for ick with Ocean Free Super Slime, White Spot and Velvet Away F (basically malachite green and perhaps formaldehyde). Immediately after accurately dosing the tank for the second round, two of the goldfish and the tiger loach gave up the ghost. I removed the remaining goldfish (a black lionhead, about 2 inches, and blind as a bat from what I could tell due to the growths over his eyes -- I mean the "normal" growths associated with lionheads) to a smaller tank for a couple of weeks and then returned it to the large Classica where it did fine for another couple of weeks. (I performed WCs before and after returning it to the large tank.)

I then decided to do something about the brown algae (diatoms?) that were building up on the glass. There wasn't a huge amount, but it was spreading exponentially so I thought I'd catch it before it got more unsightly. I got a brand new kitchen sponge from a brand new bag, rinsed it out a few times, and then used it to wipe the glass and then did a 20% WC. Within a few hours, the lionhead was dead.

Because I had used a brand new and rinsed sponge, and because I had read that brown algae were relatively harmless -- certainly at the amounts I had in my tank -- I figured that it was just a coincidence. Exercising what was no doubt great stupidity, I went out and bought four guppies and four platies. I replaced the filter pad with the EHEIM Substrat Pro and added the 8 fish to the tank. I did not gradually acclimatize the fish to the new aquarium water – just put them straight in. I Six of them were dead within 2 hours, and the remaining 2 platies have been moved to the small tank to see if they will recover. They are clearly not happy.

So, what do you think? Never trust a household sponge, even if brand new and rinsed? I find it hard to believe that the lack of acclimatization to the new tank or the bits of brown algae still floating in the tank could have done them in so rapidly.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Baoyu

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

From what I know brown algae would not cause this and I use household sponges all the tome with no problems. How long has this tank been set up?

Baoyu

by Baoyu

Thanks mcfaddy. It's been running for about 2 months.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

You said you replaced your filter pad. If i'm understanding the filtration system that you are using, you just threw out whatever biological filtration you had accummulated over the past two months. Is this the first time you have replaced it? Do you understand what it means to cycle the tank? When did you do your ammonia test?

The fact that all your fish are dying and developing an illness like ick points to a problem with your water quality. Ammonia would be the most likely culprit.

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

I agree with Natalie, that's why I asked how long its been.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Oh, btw, i like the title that you chose for this thread :)

Baoyu

by Baoyu

Ha ha, thanks Natalie. I wanted to get somebody's attention!

I measured the ammonia level (though not the nitrite) in the morning and it was undetectable. I took the filter out (true, would have removed the mature biological filter) and added the new filter material. I then added the fish and most died within two hours. Seems to me that that is way too rapid for a build up of ammonia to be the culprit, since they were just 8 tiny fish in a pretty big tank. But then again, the fish died, didn't they. I understand that some water treatment agents will render ammonia tests unreliable, and so perhaps the ammonia was high after all (or the nitrite, which I didn't measure).

Anyway, last night I completely drained and wiped the tank, rinsed the ornaments (no detergent!), replaced the gravel and the filtration material. I'm anxious to add one tiny little fish to get the biological filter established. Bad idea?

Thanks for your help.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

That's a good idea. Stay away from goldfish. They are big poopers and will quickly outgrow your tank. I'd suggest a platy, or a female betta. Don't use any chemicals in your tank except the water conditioner to remove chlorine. Get a test kit that will detect ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. Test frequently and do water changes as needed. Add new fish to your tank very, very slowly. And don't replace the filter pad...EVER. Hopefully you will have better luck the second time around!

Baoyu

Re: Brown algae of doom or Sponge Bob Death Wish

by Baoyu

Just wanted to update you. As agreed, I restarted the tank (14 gallons) from scratch with one betta and monitoring of ammonia and nitrite levels. I also added some Ocean Free Super Battle Bacteria 10000 to try to kick start the filter. There was a small spike in ammonia/nitrite levels after 7-10 days which then settled down with partial water changes on two successive days.

I added 4 platies a week ago and fed only once a day. I've just started feeding twice a day. Everyone appears to be healthy, active and compatible. Ammonia/nitrite is undetectable. Great relief and lots of fun. Many thanks for your help!

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: Brown algae of doom or Sponge Bob Death Wish

by natalie265

Glad things are going well for you!!

10 posts