Did I nuke my tank? Phosban Cloud of Death?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

thomasvision

by thomasvision

Sigh.... So I just installed a new Phosban reactor to our new 150 Gallon tank yesterday evening. As the directions stated I gently rinsed the media. However in hindsight I should have ran it into a bucket until it cleared. After installation of the phos reactor I checked it and the media was not rapidly tumbling so I thought we were fine. An hour later our tank looked like.. Well our daughter said it best a BIG ARNOLD PALMER!!!

We just started the tank so we have no fish in it yet but we have about 7 Coral frags (SPS) and a carpet anemone and a bubble tip anemone. So do any of you think everything is going to die now. I would try to take the rocks out with the anemones on them and place them in our 30 g frag tank but I can't see anything in the tank.

I have posted pics below of our 150 gallon Ice Tea tank and its Tea Bag filtration system. Please try not to laugh to hard at our expense :-)
83d3c-photo-1.JPG
d7651-photo.JPG

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

Yikes

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

I don't know if it will or not kill your frags but I would be trying to get them out of there for sure. From what I know about phosban is only about the one I used when I had salt water ( phosban 150) and in the manual it said to rinse it then put it in and then after assembly run it in a sink till it turns clear.

thomasvision

by thomasvision

hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I also started this thread on ReefCentral at the same time. Got a lot of responses there with really good advice!. The pic below shows what I did to fix my situation. One of the commenters on Reef Central suggested that I use a canister filter on the front of my tank and it is working like a charm! This pic was taking about 8 hours ago so the tank is even much clearer now.
17f6a-photo-5.JPG

thomasvision

by thomasvision

Just wanted to send an update showing the tank completely clear!!! SUCCESS!!!
e2c39-photo-6.JPG

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

Is everything alive?

rachelx3

Re: Did I nuke my tank? Phosban Cloud of Death?

by rachelx3

omg! i laughed a little but i hope it all worked out for ya!!

7 posts