Freshwater beginner

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

rhino1279

Freshwater beginner

by rhino1279

I have recently gotten back into the hobby and love it! The last tank I had was when I was a kid and to be honest, the folks got stuck doing all the work lol. I have a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium that has been running for about 3 months now. I currently have 2 blue German rams, 6 diamond tetras and 2 bristlenose pleckos. I have wanted to have a larger, and as colorful, a fish as I can in my tank as a centerpiece so to speak. I know that Oscars and cichlids are out of the question but I was wondering if there were any other possibilities. I want to make sure to not over crowd the tank and do have another tank I could put a some fish in but would like to avoid that if at all possible. My water temperature is at 79 degrees F and my water quality is excellent. I don't have specific numbers for nitrates etc, but I have it tested regularly with no issues. I have a driftwood piece in the center and fake plants. Any input would be greatly appreciated on a fish that could act as acenterpiece as I described. Thanks.
44469-120301-172653-465.jpg

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

First I'd like to say nice tank and that I love the looks of rams, if it was me I would put angels with them. Oh and by the way rams are part of the Cichlids family if you didn't allready know and so are angels.

Alasse

by Alasse

I wouldnt put angels in there.

i'd put some nice large gouramis. The gold gourami would look stunning

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

That would look nice

rhino1279

by rhino1279

Thanks for the input. Yes I knew the rams were in the cichlid family but I took a chance on them since they were supposed to be the most docile. I guess time will tell. So far they seem to be getting along with the other fish but the one seems to be a bit of a bully to the other one and territory is definitely being established. I have thought of the gouramis but have read in a couple spots that they are much more aggressive as they get older. I really liked how they looked and yes the gold ones would really add that color I am looking for. Have you had any experience with them? If you think they will work with the other Gish in the tank I would love to give them a try. Plus, it appears that they do not get too big so the tank support them.

rhino1279

by rhino1279

Here are the rams
17113-120301-172756-954.jpg
f394d-120301-172741-743.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

I have pearl goramis and a blue gourami at present, they get a bit bully, but not like angels can be.
I have kept gold gouramis before, they really are a beautiful fish and again had a school of them with nothing out there in the way of aggression.

That Ram is a cutie. I've just ordered some for one of my tanks (blue and longfin golds)

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Your rams are beautiful. I got a pair of rams last year (i can't remember now if they were German or Bolivian), but they both died within a week, and i was too discouraged to try them again.

I'm on a huge rainbow fish kick at the moment. Red irians and turquoise rainbows are a couple of my favorites. But honestly, i like the gourami suggestion and that might be a better fit with the fish you already have.

Personally, i think angels make a wonderful centerpiece fish, but unless you get a decent size school of them, you do risk problems with aggression.

Freshwater beginner

8 posts