Compatible Fish with Arowana

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

vanwykb

by vanwykb

Hi Guys, Can anyone tell me wich fish are compatible with Arowana's?
I have 2 Pleco's, 1 Synodontis Catfish, 2 Angels, 1 Cory Catfish, 1 Silver Arowana.
I know the Cory will end up being a meal for the Arowana. Will donate him to a good home. I am wondering what fish I can add that can stand their ground against a Arowana.

I don't want fighting in the tank. I was also thinking of adding 4 Clown loaches.

Any Ideas?

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

How many gallons is your tank, so we know how much space you have to work with?

vanwykb

by vanwykb

Tank is a 129 gallon (5 Foot). Will be buying a 270 gallon (7 foot) in the next few months. So I will have a lot more space. This is primarily for the Arowana to have sufficient space to move in. Tha Aro is still small about 6 inches. So I have some time to plan.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I'd say the angels will need to go. My LFS keeps their arowana with a twelve inch catfish, but i'm not sure what species.

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

Not sure but I think you can put an stingray with it. I have always wanted one.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

This discussion has some very interesting information: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/archive/i ... 44789.html

Specifically the quote from john2gs, "...I used to have an asian arowana, motoro ray, flowerhorn, and 6 blood parrots. The red arowana....terrorized every fish in the 125 gallon tank. I guess....it was very territorial since it was the only fish in the tank for more than 3 months. Then I introduced the other fish. The motoro ray got bitten twice. The Flowerhorn (last introduced), was always bitten on the head. But after 3-4 months......the arowana, got used to them.....and the nipping of tails and etc....subsided dramatically...."

Lots of good info from that person, check it out.

vanwykb

by vanwykb

@natalie265 I thought that the Angels will have to go. The Aro is starting to show agressiveness towards them.
@mcfaddy Stingrays are unfortunately Illegal in South Africa, so no luck in that department.
@ Okiimiru Thanks for the link. Has some interesting facts.
Does any of you think Convicts can survive with the Aro?

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

I thought stingrays were from your waters, o-well it was worth a try.

vanwykb

by vanwykb

Stingrays are infact originally from South America. I would also love to have one. Did some research on them, that is why I know they are banned. So is the freshwater lobsters. Bummer...

9 posts