Best plant for nitrates

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DanDman18

Best plant for nitrates

by DanDman18

I know that plants are generally good for aqauriums, however with my african cichlids, i cant put any into my tank. I know plants lower nitrates, and was hoping to set up a somewhat small (around 15 gal) refugium tank with plants to help the water, however i don't knw what plant, if there is one, that could live in high pH water, and effectively break down nitrate without growing out of a small tank. Any ideas are appreciated.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

I kept several species of plants successfully in my pH 7.5, DH 16 to 20 tank.

The plants that grew well included:
Ceratophyllum demersum (a great choice for a refugium because it would float in a ball like a freshwater analog to chaeto)
Myriophyllum aquaticum
Najas guadalupensis
Cladophora (not really a plant but it grew like crazy and took up nitrates)
Elodea/Egeria densa, not sure which one

Plants that died:
Cabomba caroliniana. Did not like the hard, alkaline water.

I say, go with the Ceratophyllum demersum. It grows really really fast and it sucks up all of the nutrients you have. It would be perfect for a refugium.

Edit:
I found a video of some kind of cichlid tank and Ceratophyllum demersum. The common name for the plant is hornwort because it coats itself in lime as it grows in hard water, making it spiky to the touch. A lot of fish that eat plants can't eat it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrSdYK5El_8
Anyway, you can see it rotating around and floating; it won't grow unsightly roots like rooted plants throw down when they're made to float. It's a lot like the freshwater version of chaeto.
Last edited by Okiimiru on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I think elodea would be a good choice too. It grows fast and in that fast growth, soaks up a lot of nutrients. I've grown it in even higher ph than 7.5.

Alasse

by Alasse

Wisteria is one of the best nitrate eaters, as it duckweed.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

bad thing about duckweed is it can cover the top losing light have to keep up on top of it.

Alasse

by Alasse

If it is multiplying massively fast then you have a excess nutrient (nitrate) problem. It is nothing a net cant fix either, thin it out

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Duckweed is very hard to eliminate completely from planted aquariums. If it gets pushed underwater by the filter outflow, it can get tangled amongst the submerged plants and stay alive down there. Even after you completely remove all of the duckweed from the surface, it is possible for that stray duckweed to pop up again weeks later and to spawn another population.

A better alternative to duckweed is Ricciocarpus natans, which cannot survive if it gets pushed underwater. For that reason it is very easy to completely remove from your aquarium if you so desire. Simply net out all of the floating plants and it is actually, truly gone.

Personally, I dislike floating plants and don't use them in my aquarium. They block the light from the plants below the surface, so often it comes down to a choice of either ground cover plant or floating plant, but not both. For people who like Hemianthus callitrichoides, Glossostigma elatinoides, and eleocharis parvula or acicularis, surface plants aren't an option.

Alasse

by Alasse

As a person who has eliminated it from 5 fully planted tanks *L* It truely isnt that difficult to keep under control or eradicate fully if needed. It will only block the light if you dont thin it out, as stated a few scoops with a net will solve that VERY easily.

Best plant for nitrates

8 posts