Alasse - My Tanks

47 posts • Page 2 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

Thanx Nat.....i absolutely adore him

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I love bettas. They're one of my favorites. Mean as hell tho--some of mine bite me when i clean their tank! One of my girls chomped down on my arm and when i yanked my arm out of the tank, she was still attached! Luckily she dropped back into the tank, cheeky thing!

Alasse

by Alasse

I dont really have a favorite fish, they're all pretty cool

another tank setup
b5423-2.5ft 6th Jan 2012.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

The 5ft will be getting a makeover tomorrow.

Next then will be the Cherry tank, the java fern is getting very thick, i want to think it out some

Alasse

by Alasse

5ft done

Cherry shrimp tank done
0feee-5ft 9th Jan 2012.jpg
6197f-3ft 9th Jan 2012.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

Background progression - Is now silconed into the tank and has its 4th coat of sealer. Another 4 days before i can fill it for the 1st time!
996dc-BG 5th Jan 2012.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

So i filled the 2ft with the DIY background in it. Learnt some things for next time i make one (will add these at the end) *L* All in all for my 1st go it came up quite well. It did stay where it was meant to....so far. Tank has been emptied again, just finished the 1st coat of black paint on the outside, now gotta wait for it to dry to do a second coat. Once the ssecond coat is on and dry, the tank will be put back in place and substrate put in, then filled and planted. Will be a week or so before goldies go in. But i will be throwing some canaries in (feeders) to make sure all is good. I will be testing daily while the feeders are in there to make sure its safe even for them. I cant run the canister on it until the replacement part arrives and that could be at the end of the month or more. That will give me time to modify the outlet to fit behond the background. So i will put internals to keep the water moving.

Tis a bit exciting now i'm at the business end of the build

2nd coat of black now done, just waiting for it to dry so i can push the tank back into its possie

Alasse

by Alasse

Not a brilliant pic. Tank is still quite cloudy (had a blonde moment lol. Washed a bucket of gravel, had it sitting beside a dirty bucket of gravel, you can guess which one i used!) but anyway it gives you an idea of how it looks. I'll update with another pic once its clear :)

Now lessons learnt during this process!

Check and recheck and then check again you have the size right!
Do not let the silicone come in contact with the pond sealer, they turn a slight white, nothing to out there but you can see it on the edges. Once the BG weathers a bit that should blend in. I actually dont mind the look, it gives it a more natural feel, but just be aware of it
Do NOT mix quartz sand in to try and get a bit more texture.
Measure your canister tubing prior to finishing BG, will save you having to modify the inlet & outlet *L*
Do not make to many hard to get to places with your foam, a more flowing type would definately be easier to render! (and far quicker)

Overall though i am really pleased with how this came out
b1428-2ft BG 15th Jan 2012.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Looks great!

Alasse

by Alasse

Thanx Nat :)

So i have decided to leave it be at this stage.

Since the milky water episode the water has cleared considerably. The background colour has changed though. Funny enough i dont really mind the look *L*

So i have tested again today, both the tank and a container of water (same as used in the tank) i stored on top, to make sure the background was inert and not messing with tank stats. I am very pleased to say all stats from both samples are exactly the same.

There is now a feeder fish in there, who is doing great, active and looks wonderful.

Will update as it progresses, what ever that may be

As i is just now (please ignore temp internal filters)
f8377-2ft BG 18th Jan 2012.jpg

Alasse - My Tanks

47 posts • Page 2 of 5