Discus Tank

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

FishMane25

Discus Tank

by FishMane25

Updated, check it out and rate/leave comments! thanks and much appreciated!

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

The black stand and background contrast nicely with the white substrate. But I'm afraid that discus are more comfortable in heavily planted aquariums. I was under the impression that in the wild they hide in plant clumps and then pounce on their prey. They wouldn't be able to reenact that behavior in this sparsely planted aquarium. Even one clump of plants in a corner would help, and some tiny shrimp for them to hunt. It wouldn't hurt to add some live blackworms to the tank, too. In a heavily planted tank blackworms can avoid predation for weeks, and hunting them really enriches the fish's lives.

I'm not sure if you've ever grown live plants in the aquarium before, but it's actually really easy. I use a kitty litter substrate (yes, kitty litter. The kind with no added clumping chemicals that is just pure ground clay). Some people use soil dug up from their back yard and capped in sand. Plants grow well in either. Or you can use Fluorite(R) by Seachem, which comes in your choice of colors. Anyway, the point is, plants are very easy to grow as long as you give them a nice substrate and some good lights (full spectrum is best, or a light with strong peaks in the red and blue region of the visible spectrum). And plants have the added benefit of cleaning your water for you, so that's a perk. Live plants are really very nice to add to the aquarium. You've got a beautiful black and white setup going on right now. I think it would only be prettier with the addition of a few live plants, maybe some fluffy green Myriophyllum pinnatum and some bright red Ludwigia repens or Rotala wallichi. You can get them from aquabid.com or directly from plant nurseries like sweetaquatics.com. I paid $32 total for snippings from six plant species for my own 55 gallon tank including shipping, and I've already made that initial investment into live plants back by selling my own plant trimmings to other people in the aquarium hobby. Selling the plants actually pays for all the fish food I buy and then some. *nods* Live plants are cool.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Those are beautiful fish! I agree that more plants would improve the tank. If not live, even more fake plants would be nice. You said on your profile that ph isn't as big of a deal for discus as people think. I'm curious, what ph is your water?

Alasse

by Alasse

I'm a planted tank person but I like it as is.

The fish look gorgeous, excellent colouration not at all stressed by the lack of vegetation. Many breeders keep them in VERY bare tanks, your honestly look very well cared for and stunning in that tank

Well done

FishMane25

by FishMane25

yea true, i thought about live plants but doing all the water changes and scrubbing makes it hard to keep it pristine like i do! :)

FishMane25

by FishMane25

Alasse: Thank you i work hard to make it look good and keep the fish healthy!
Natalie/Okiimiru : And also Thank you! I have rescaped it quite a bit and i like plants in it too it looks amazing but dealing with having to pull them out every so often to clean them i would just rather leave them out and save me a step and the hastle. my PH is a steady 7.4. GH 6, KH 4.

billko

by billko

That's a nice set up and i personally don't think Discus need plants.
Domestic bred Discus are born into barebottom set ups and have never seen a plant until hobbyists put them in a tank with plants.
I've had heavy planted set ups with Discus in the past but now find it easier to keep everything cleaner with just a few plants, wood and sand.
It's pleasing on the eye and maybe nicer to have as a display set up having a nice planted tank but lots of folk will keep Discus in a barebottom set up with no issues at all.
It's all down to the individual on what he or she prefers and finding the right balance between decor/plants etc and still give yourself enough space to keep that substrate nice and clean.
Maybe some floating plants like frogbit would give some cover and a nice look and also some easy plants like java fern and anubias that you can attach to bogwood would work well.
Giant vallis is another to try for a nice look and is pretty easy to grow.

FishMane25

by FishMane25

Thanks for the suggestions. I may try and add some plants that i can attach to the wood. My sand substrate will not work for live plants and i am also not trying to add something else to my list when maintaining my tank lol.

Alasse

by Alasse

Plants will work for sand substrate *L* I have sand in some of my planted tanks

Though i think for you just for ease of cleaning that you want tying plants to decor would work better

FishMane25

by FishMane25

lol yea Im thinkin thats the route im gonna go!

Discus Tank

10 posts