Starting with Cichlids

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

RunFaster011

Starting with Cichlids

by RunFaster011

It is time for me to begin keeping Cichlids. I would like some advice on what species would work in a 29 gallon tank. Preferably I would like to have more than just a pair of fish. Either a mix of different species or a cool species tank. Thanks!

milky648

by milky648

I was gonna say yellow lab ci cichlids but im not sure how many u can keep ther are smaller cichlids, kirbinsi, lock up smaller ci cichlids

Alasse

by Alasse

Maingano would fit, i'd do 1 male to 4-5 females. Stunning fish

RunFaster011

by RunFaster011

Thanks Alasse! I've done some research and decided to go with the Blue Johanni's.

Alasse

by Alasse

Cool...the Johannis are a nice fish too.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Neolamprologus mutlifasciatus. They're shell dwellers, so they live in colonies with each fish inside its individual shell. They're territorial and aggressive like other cichlids, but they're also really cute and don't really kill each other often.

You can see some various species of shell dwellers in the wild at 5:52 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X_KD8ZS ... re=related

Multifasciatus is a nice aquarium fish because they're dynamic. They'll move their home shell to where they want it if you have a sand substrate, using their mouths to pick up and move sand. And if they're feeling mean they'll go over and bury their rival's shell. They will also breed in your tank, so you'll see little babies come out of the shells :)

esparzar1

by esparzar1

In a 29 gallon, yellow labs "might" work.

Neolamprologus mutlifasciatus is a great recomendation.

I'd avoid the johannii and the mainganos. Both are beautiful fish but way to big and aggressive for a 29 gallon tank. I'd look at the Ps. Saulosi for the tank. It has similar colors to the Johannii but only reach about 1/2 their size.

Starting with Cichlids

7 posts