Ok - I'm NEW HELP!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

TinaCook0220

Ok - I'm NEW HELP!

by TinaCook0220

We purchased a new tank yesterday. We put in a Bio-wheel filter and heater, and mixed Instant Ocean salt water and let it dissolve. We then added our base rock and live rock. We have to test the salinity and use the hydrometer and we have a Stability solution as well - but to be honest we are completely new and need more direct instructions on what the salinity should be, what we need to do next, ect. We want a few corals, anenomies, and of course fish and we want to do this RIGHT. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

singapore

by singapore

if you are planning on keeping inverts like amemones, keep ur salinity @ 1.024. try getting a protein skimmer if u want to keep corals, its aboslutely essential for good water quality. before you add any new fish or anything, let yor water mature for a few weeks, untill the amonia cycle has stopped. dont try to rush anything with a saltwater tank, because all that results is dead animals.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

First of all TinaCook0220 WELCOME!!

The first thing that you have to do is buy a test kit, for nitrite, ammonia, nitrate and Ph. That's enough for now. 2nd, I'd like to know the size of your tank, how many lbs of live rock and base rock you have, and what kind of substrate, gravel are you using?
Your salinity is good anywhere betwwen 1.023-1.026 for now.
Not to being smart or mean, but please don't think about anemones and corals right now, unless you already read and learned a lot about the hobby. It's a long but very joyful way to get there, belive me..
Again, Welcome to the site.
Let us know the size

TinaCook0220

by TinaCook0220

This is all great stuff. I have a 37 gallon tank. I have 10 lbs of base rock and 19 lbs of live rock and I am using live sand for my base. I will pick up a testing kit and so forth - I added the sand today - of course now the water is all coudy again but later today I am sure it will settle down. I am planning on taking my time so that I do not have dead animals when I do add them - and luckily we have a very good dealer within a phone call away that can help as well! Thank you all!

dick_headers

by dick_headers

A good LFS worth a fortune, ask Snowboss, he knows.. Don't you Boss?..lol..
Yea, the sand will settle down, and cloudyness will go away overnight. You probably have about 30-40 lbs of sand in there, which is pretty good.Test the water often when you have the test kit. Read good articles about nitrogen cycle.
Ask questions, they are free.

montecarloZ38

by montecarloZ38

You also need a powerhead or 2 for current in the tank. I would suggest placing two in opposite sides. You also need a good light.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Amen on the good LFS - - -they can be your best friend or your worse enemy - - evryones comments are the same as I would have made to you - - -so take your time, keep good records {i have a table chart i made in microsoft publisher with salinity, temp, PH , nitrite, nitrate time of test, date and a notes section....I write down everything - - if i move a powerhead, clean a filter etcetcetc - - believe me....after about 3 weeks you'll be wanting to do something you already did and the notes will be very handy - -plus if you do have a problem you will have a log of what you where doing to get there....makes for a helpful diagnosis too - - -love you tank and it will love you - - - - lights and current are next - -i see you have a bio wheel filter - -might i ask what size? ....Snowboss

Ok - I'm NEW HELP!

7 posts