Have you ever?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Have you ever?

by natalie265

Has anyone ever sucked up/inhaled water from the siphon when they've been cleaning their fish tank? It happened to me today. To make matters worse, it wasn't one of my own tanks, which are well kept and relatively clean. I took a big swallow of fish poo filled water. Got some in my lungs too. I've been feeling ill all day. So gross. I'm feeling kinda traumatized.

Alasse

by Alasse

Yeah i have and its nasty!

Just keep and eye on your helath though, it is not unheard of for keepers to get sick (some quite sick) from tank water

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

You don't have to use your mouth to start the siphon. Here, I'll find a video that shows you how to start it using gravity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_lFtqsg6GY

That guy uses speed to transform initial flow into sustained flow. You could also put your thumb over the ground-ward end of the tube once water reaches it, and then take your time putting the wide end of the siphon back in the water.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I still feel a bit ill today, but i'm not sure it isn't psychological. I'm not puking or anything.

Thanks for the tip. I hope i can make it work!

DanDman18

by DanDman18

There is also a much easier way than that video. Simply submerge the entire syphon underwater until it fills up even in the hose, cap the end with your finger and direct it into a bucket, release your thumb and that's it.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

The other way worked, but it took a few tries. Dan, i'll try your method next. Thanks for the ideas!

Alasse

by Alasse

Some of my tank i can get the syphon self started, others no for various reasons and sucking needs to be used.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well at least you know how the fish "feel" when the water is dirty (((smiles))) - nothing beats first hand experience

Have you ever?

8 posts