What is this??!!!

32 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

colwyn

by colwyn

Thanks for all the help, I am told that tetras are also a good indicator of water quality. They are fine, well except for the one who always hides in the vase. I am also woried that the goldfish keeps coming up to breathe air. Is this normal???

colwyn

by colwyn

Now my problem is can a guppy fry skip being fed for two days!!!!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

If your goldfish is spending a lot of time gulping air from the top of the tank, this is not normal. Goldfish should not be kept with tropical fish. They are actually a cold water fish and need highly oxygenated water. Warmer water doesn't have as much oxygen in it and goldfish can really struggle. You could try adding an airstone. The surface agitation will help get some oxygen in there, but ideally the goldfish should be placed in a different tank without a heater. I tried keeping goldies in an unheated tank at work, but the temperature of the office kept my tank at almost tropical levels. Sadly, i lost quite a few of them before i figured out that it wasn't going to work. My tropical fish are now doing great.

Not sure about the fry question, so i'll let someone else address that.

colwyn

by colwyn

I have an airstone, should I turn it up?

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Fry can survive not eating for two days, but will suffer for it. I feed my guppy fry four times a day or more their first week of life. Once their stomachs finish taking form they can store a bit more food, but when they're first born they will eat as often as you can feed them.

The goldfish gulping the air might have something to do with ammonia and nitrite concentration. If either is above 0 ppm the fish are in distress.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

What is your ammonia and nitrite at now?

colwyn

by colwyn

Well, my ammonia is now down to 0ppm. I use a little Ammo-Block with every water change, a few drops. My tank is looking good, look at my pics! No algea, snail are wonderful! My guppy fry is now happily in a 1.5 gallon with a snail. He grew a centimeter in a week in the new tank, much faster growth rate than in the breeder box. Thank-you to everybody for all the help!
f623f-Fish tank 004.JPG
69b6d-Fish tank 022.JPG
1c8d0-Fish tank 022.JPG
15493-Fish tank 018.JPG
cc886-Fish tank 013.JPG

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

It's looking great. Glad you got things sorted. Still not sure the ammo lock is such a good idea. But it looks good. Your water looks crystal clear.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

if you can, buy some live plants

colwyn

by colwyn

I might buy some live plants, but I heard they make your water nasty. I need some reccomendations on plants too. Do I need a Co2 bubbler?

What is this??!!!

32 posts • Page 3 of 4