New to Salt, Old to Fresh. Looking 4 Advice From exsperience

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

RyanIrvine877

by RyanIrvine877

Hello to all,

Well I guess i'm just looking for anyone with any type of advice for a person starting a Salt water tank. I'm Planning a 110 Gallon Reef set up. Using community fish, invertabrites, hard and soft corals. I've done alot of research, probably spent over 200 in just books alone arleady. I'm still confused kinda. I planning a live rock set up and coral sand substrate with twin Can filters for chemical A large Venturi skimmer and maybe a couple extra power heads for Movment to go with the return of the Canfilters. I'm planning a mix of VO florecents and Metal Halides. These are my plans but with all the options betweeen filters and even there styles and lights and power heads and ect. This list is never ending. I'm looking for a good Reliable Set up that Has worked for Others that is some what simply maintained. I'm in the Millitary and frequently i have to leave my aquariums to the care of my wife. So simplicity would be best but not a need. I'm just looking forward to and and all your advice Thanxs Ryan

PS Starter corals and Inverts would be a help to like i said I know fresh water very well but new to salt so Any and all Advice is welcome Thanks again

reeftank

Re: New to Salt, Old to Fresh. Looking 4 Advice From exsperi

by reeftank

hay im New to SWFT to but just keep in mind your how much you want to spend because if is verry $$$ i have a 14g salt with live rock, 2 fish, hermits, invert, and it caust me about 550$ im only 17 so this is a lot for me to spend. ive heard to set up a 100g, just the tank and filters and stuff can be like 2,000 or more for the good stuff. post a pic once you get one

dragonmoray

by dragonmoray

Hi Ryan,
I have kept marine aquariums for the last 23 years. I currently run a 90 gal Soft Coral Reef aquarium which has been set up for the last 5 months or so. If you look over my profile, there are photos and a full description of the equipment i run. You may want to start with the more forgiving Soft Corals to gain a little experience before going on to LPS and SPS Corals. Bear in mind you will have to be more careful when combining Soft and Stony Corals in the same aquarium with regards to placement and competition for space as the species grow.
Regards
Jase

RyanIrvine877

by RyanIrvine877

HI, I really appreciate your input on this topic i understand corals are difficult to start out with and such... Thats why i'm depateing weather i want to try a full blown reef or just start out with fish and inverts. I'm really debating this cause i pritty much have an idea in my head after reading all the books but well i guess i'm just lookin for some good manufacturues good products that have worked for others and good idea's on systems. I really don't wanna spend 3000 or so watch my entire stock flop in 1 week that would be really devistating to me. I'm sure its probably not gonna happend but i'm a long time fresh water and i've just gotten so good at those that salt seems as thoughi could really mess it up quickly. Just need input from anyone willing to give me any>

tangerine

by tangerine

hiya Ryan,
yr poser is a bit tough to reply.

usually my advice is to draw up a wish list of stuff you are considering to keep and buy yr equipments and stuff to cater round them.

in this hobby,other than seeing livestocks perish,it oso hurts when you find the equipments that u just bought are inadequate to handle yr tank requirements.

well as a general guideline, buy the largest tank u can accomodate,and the best skimmer yr budget allows. filled the tank up with liverocks(abt x 0.6 of tank volume in gallons),cycle the tank. during this period,decide on yr wish list,then only buy the lights,powerheads(for flows)

can't really tell you which stuff are the best as opinions differ.also yr location plays a part as some stuff recommended may not be available in yr country.

oh lastly,welcome to the world of salties. if you get the basic and set up right,it's very rewarding.

amkelly

by amkelly

hey ryan,
welcome to the most addicting hobby ever! ive had a saltwater tank for over two years now and have gone through many experiences and have read many many books and ill let you know what ive learned. sorry if it gets a little long but its worth reading, it might save you money and time!

1. the emphasis on using live rock is "over used." what i mean is that in a 110 gallon tank you are most likely going to have fish like tangs, wrasses, maybe some dwarf angels. all of thses fish love to swim in the open waters so dont fill your tank with rock. people always say 110 gallons= 110 lbs of rock. this is NOT true. just build small stacks of rock that leave the top of the tank with open water. this is because most fish in the ocean only use live rock for hiding and the rest of the day they swim above it, so dont block off there swimming space, its very impoertant.

2. have a decent amount of flow and make sure there are no "dead spots" in your tank. dead spots (where water doesnt flow) makes detritus build up which makes your tank dirty. the more flow in the tank the more active the fish stay, generally the more active the fish stay the longer they live.

3. canister filters might not be enough to house corals, just something to think about. corals need a lot of attention so i would hold off on them and just try the fish only at first especially with the wife taking care of the tank at certain times, it will save you a lot of money.

4. metal halides are extremely good for your tank. when you get the time to sit down yourself and watch your tank you will be able to invest in some nice corals to go along with your fish community, it would be a wise investment.

5. people will tell you that 110 gallons= 110 inches of fish at full growth. once again this is NOT true. only because every fish needs its swimming space, a 12 inch fish isnt just going to take up 12 inches of your tank so remember that. its more about how much they swim and how much space they need to swim in.

6. a few stocking options (if it were my tank)
1 tang of choice
a pair of clowns
1 dwarf angel (may nip at corals, be aware)
1 wrasse
1 goby
1 trigger (may eat inverts.. best to go with blue jaw)

i would limit it to 6 or 7 fish.. this will give them enough space to swim and yet make it feel like your tank is full.

7. buy small. smaller fish adapt to aquariums easier and its more fun to watch them grow and change.

8. when buying a fish, check it out and dont be afraid to ask questions about it, like is it eating and such. if you have any doubt dont buy the fish it will save you money. and also YOU CANT TRUST EVERYONE IN THIS HOBBY. people are there to make money, make sure you can tell the difference between those people and the ones that mean well.

and of course, let me know how everything is going, im really interested in your new reef. good luck!!

tangerine

by tangerine

amkelly,good write up.

amkelly

by amkelly

thanks.. you can never stop learning in this hobby

8 posts