Gravel or sand for african cihild tank?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

milky648

by milky648

Hi Right now i have natrual fine gravelel in my tank and i was wondering is sand easyer to clean? it looks so nice i have put lots of hiding places in my tank, i have 100 gallon tank with a fluvel 404 . and how many africans can u put in a 100 gallon tank? so far i have i think 10 africans but 2 are adults and the rest are babys. And what is the best thing to feed them i am feeding them nutra fin max cichlid spirulina sticks, and i also herd blood worms isent good for them could some buddy give me some adive id like to do it right . ive always just a few africans ther so nice locking , thanks you for all ur adive .The pic here is my red zebra / electric yellow lab , his dad was red zebra and the mom i still have is electric yellow lab
20c78-P1150394.JPG

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I had trouble with sand when I tried it, because whenever I vacuumed it, it would just suck all the sand up because it was so light. That’s why I have crushed coral, I think sand looks much nicer, but for me it was a headache with sand. Also, with sand whenever the fish stirred up the bottom, sand granules got caught in the filter making mine extremely noisy. How many you can fit all depends on the size of the fish. For instance if you wanted large cichlids such as frontosas or venustus you couldn't have many, use the 1 inch of fish per gallon as an idea, average size of Africans is probably 5 inches so, you could fit about 20. But don't use that as a rule engraved in stone, if you over filtrate and keep up with water changes you can fit more, maybe about 30 fish all together, but start with about 20 and see how it goes. If you have problems with ammonia or nitrite then obviously don't add more, but if all is smooth sailing I would add as you seem fit, but no more than 30 I think. As far as feeding I feed mine tetramin flakes, then new life spectrum, and bloodworms, then a day of no feeding to clean their systems out. The reason people say that bloodworms are bad is because many species of mbuna are primarily herbivorous, and don't eat too much protein with fats. So sometimes the fat would build up and cause their stomachs to basically pop, it’s called Malawi Bloat. From what I have read it takes them too long to break down the protein and fats in their stomachs. As long as you mix of their foods, and give them a variety they should do fine. My cichlids absolutely love bloodworms, and I have never had any problems. Sorry to go on and on but I thought I would give my take. One little sidenote, i personaly would get more filtration. In my opinion you should at least double your filtration.

Ezeanes

by Ezeanes

You can add crushed coral to your gravle it a nice mix for africans and the coral helps keep your water hard and ph up I used caribsea african mix whitch is fine gravle and coral thay also make a grate clarifier called biomagnet, I feed my fish the samething as dandman tetramin flakes for babies and newlife spectrem pellets for the bigger fish bloodworms mysesshrimp and brinshrimp with sprelinea I keep more than I should in my tank only because thay breed like crazy and I sell the babies when thay git big enougfh so u will be ok j if u want more just keep up weekly maintenance 25% water change and alternate filter media cleaning. A pic of my gravle
06f8a-2011-11-08 08.35.08.jpg

esparzar1

by esparzar1

This one is an easy answer. POOL FILTER SAND. Cheap, great looking, and not too light to get sucked up by the vaccum. Hope that helps!

romel85

by romel85

Okay I am speaking from experience, African Cichilds are a pain in my butt. They are like the messiest fish ever, but they are beautiful. Anyways sand is what they love. they like to dig holes and hide in them BUT sand is a pain to clean. u still have to siphon it and when u do there goes all of your money. I would stick with the gravel. I personally was fed up with my cichilds cuz I couldnt put any other fish with them and after a while they were boring to watch, I just sold my entire setup and now I bought a 125 gallon natural community tank and I love it! to each its own.

milky648

by milky648

Ok thanks guys, ok no sand for me lol ya the pics that i have up was bevore i cleand my tank right now its clear. Ya i think i will havto get more filterration fluvel 404 wont keep up if i put 20 fish in my 125 gallon tank.

I do need help lock at my profile pic my texses cichlid dose anybody know what those red locking like tummers are? I have been doing a 20% water change every day and piting salt in the tank . Thanks

6 posts