Nitrates

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DanDman18

Nitrates

by DanDman18

I know this sounds like a beginner question, but i am very confused about it. I tested my water last week when my power was out, and everything was perfect, pH-8.2 Ammonia-0 nitite-0, however the nitrate was 120ppm. I couldn't do a water change because i had no power, and just had to hope they would live, i then did tests every day since and every day it dropped by 20ppm, today i got power back and was going to do a water change but when i tested it again it said that the nitrates are 0. I thought the only way to reduce nitrates is from water changes, or live plants, i didn't do any water changes, and besides for algae in my tank no plants. So what i am asking is why did my nitrates drop so suddenly?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I'm wondering if there is something wrong with your test kit. It doesn't make sense to me either.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I don't know, i just retested the tank 4 times, with different test bottles and two said about 30-40ppm while the other two said about 20-30ppm, while this morning it was 0 all 4 times. I have the API freshwater test kit, but the biggest thing i hate about it is the 10 and 20ppm for nitrate look the same, as does the 40 and 80. So when it is that color i guess you assume its between them, but i like knowing exactly.

Nitrates

3 posts